Ill edit yours if you'll edit mine! Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Anonymous User

Ill edit yours if you'll edit mine!

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:14 pm

PS and Addendum.

My Addendum:

My performance in my sophomore year suffered due to unforeseen stresses. My roommate brought in an unwelcome boyfriend who abused substances in our apartment and demonstrated unstable, violent behaviors. I genuinely felt unsafe in my own home and feared for my own health. After consulting with a school counselor, I felt a hardship withdrawal would be my best option until I was able to move out.
During the last quarter, my mother was diagnosed with an incurable disease of the pelvic region called Interstitial Cystitis. My program scores suffered when I was forced to leave Spain early to act as her sole caretaker. I believe that I have grown from these challenging events in my life, and my Dean’s List achievement and average GPA of 3.83 in the last two years of college better demonstrate my academic capabilities.

bluepenguin

Bronze

Re: Ill edit yours if you'll edit mine!

Post by bluepenguin » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:56 am

My performance in my sophomore year suffered due to unforeseen stresses. My roommate's brought in an unwelcome boyfriend who abused substances in our apartment and demonstrated unstable, violent behaviors. I genuinely felt unsafe in my own home and feared for my own safety. After consulting with a school counselor, I felt a hardship withdrawal would be my best option until I was able to move out.
During the last quarter [of what?], my mother was diagnosed with an incurable disease of the pelvic region called Interstitial Cystitis. My program scores suffered when I was forced to leave Spain early to act as her sole caretaker. [What does this mean? Did you have W's from a study abroad program? Are you saying your performance once you returned suffered because you were acting as her caretaker?] I believe that I have grown from these challenging events in my life, and my Dean’s List achievement and average GPA of 3.83 in the last two years of college better demonstrate my academic capabilities.
I think it needs to be more succinct and matter-of-fact. Suggestions shown.

B90

Silver

Re: Ill edit yours if you'll edit mine!

Post by B90 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:53 am

bluepenguin wrote:
My performance in my sophomore year suffered due to unforeseen stresses. My roommate's brought in an unwelcome boyfriend who abused substances in our apartment and demonstrated unstable, violent behaviors. I genuinely felt unsafe in my own home and feared for my own safety. After consulting with a school counselor, I felt a hardship withdrawal would be my best option until I was able to move out.
During the last quarter [of what?], my mother was diagnosed with an incurable disease of the pelvic region called Interstitial Cystitis. My program scores suffered when I was forced to leave Spain early to act as her sole caretaker. [What does this mean? Did you have W's from a study abroad program? Are you saying your performance once you returned suffered because you were acting as her caretaker?] I believe that I have grown from these challenging events in my life, and my Dean’s List achievement and average GPA of 3.83 in the last two years of college better demonstrate my academic capabilities.
I think it needs to be more succinct and matter-of-fact. Suggestions shown.
+1

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”