Character and Fitness - Exact Crimes? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Anonymous User

Character and Fitness - Exact Crimes?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:25 am

Do you have to find the exact crime you were cited for? I was charged for something my roommate did and all tenants of the apartment get charged for whatever crime there is. I was put on school probation for the issue but all I know I was charged with was "throwing objects off balcony".

Do I need to go find the records of this or something?

How much do I have to write about this issue?

Anonymous User

Re: Character and Fitness - Exact Crimes?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:27 am

Will this suffice?

Thanks

My Junior year at the *** my roommate had friends visiting a particular weekend. It turns out those roommates decided to throw objects off of our balcony which resulted in officers coming upstairs to our apartment. A rule in Champaign is that all tenants get charged with apartment related citations. I happened to be in the bathroom while all of this was happening. I was cited but luckily did not have to show up to court, like my roommate had to because the officer realized I was not part of the crime.

I spoke to the dean about the issue and I was put on probation for one year, which I successfully completed and the probationary statement was revoked from my transcript.

bluepenguin

Bronze

Post by bluepenguin » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:45 am

You're tone is wayyyy too informal ("luckily did not have to show up like my roommate").

You're in a tough spot if you're innocent. You have to own up, but it's hard too if you're not really culpable. Try something like:
a) 1 sentence describing what happened in the driest possible factual terms
b) per (XX) policy, this led to a citation for all tenants
c) say you passed probation and have no other issues in your record

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:23 am

1. I received a drinking ticket my sophomore year during “Mom’s Weekend”. Cited for underage drinking. No probation was placed because it was my first and only offense.

2. Roommate’s friends were visiting in which they threw objects off of our balcony. Per Champaign’s Municipal code, every roommate was charged regardless of their involvement. Citation recorded, did not need to show up to court because officer realized I was not involved. Spoke with dean about issue. Per school policy, one year social probation was placed upon my transcript but has been removed off my transcript for good behavior.

Better?? Lol I didn't mean to sound informal!

bluepenguin

Bronze

Post by bluepenguin » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:58 am

lol, no mate. The first one you were writing informally, i.e. how you might tell a friend about the situation ("It turns out..."). Big no-no.

Now you're not even using complete sentences. I didnt mean for you to put it in bullet form, just for you to use the basic outline to craft a 3-6 sentence paragraph. I actually think you need a couple sentences to give background now that I understand the story better. Just tell them what the roommates did, the code, and how the issue was resolved with the police and your school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

wert3813

Silver

Post by wert3813 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:46 am

Last edited by wert3813 on Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

totalmajor

New

Post by totalmajor » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:12 am

Applications are so stressful! Here we go. I think this is what I'll be submitting for every school.

1. I received a drinking ticket my sophomore year during “Mom’s Weekend”. I was cited for underage drinking because I was within arm’s reach of a drink. No probation was placed because it was my first and only offense.

2. My roommate’s friends were visiting for the weekend and at one point threw objects of our balcony. Someone spotted this happening and reported our apartment. Per Champaign’s Municipal code, every roommate is charged regardless of whether or not they were involved in the crime. My ticket was just a basic citation because the officer realized I was not involved and did not have to appear in court. I later spoke with the dean who told me that because of the way school policy worked, I was put on social probation for one year but later had it removed because of good behavior.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”