Starting a sentence with "And" or "But?"

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
xxxkrs1xxx

Starting a sentence with "And" or "But?"

Postby xxxkrs1xxx » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:54 pm

What do you all think about this? Sometimes, I feel like a sentence just sounds to much better beginning with one of these words. I've had teachers who have said that it is incorrect and not to use it, and others who believe that you can totally use them at times. Would you recommend against doing this in a personal statement?

Thank you!

rinkrat19

Re: Starting a sentence with "And" or "But?"

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:06 am

A good writer can break nearly any rule. The trick is knowing when to do it.

dowu

Postby dowu » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:19 am

rinkrat19 wrote:A good writer can break nearly any rule. The trick is knowing when to do it.

TITCR.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:59 pm

From a college application: And, yes, I do know the cure for cancer. But, I'm not comfortable revealing it until after I am admitted. (Also a useful style for plea negotiations--just remember to change "admitted" to "released".)

B90

Postby B90 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:24 am

CanadianWolf wrote:From a college application: And, yes, I do know the cure for cancer. But, I'm not comfortable revealing it until after I am admitted. (Also a useful style for plea negotiations--just remember to change "admitted" to "released".)

8)

I agree with all of the above posters. Just avoid using the same conjunction to start more than one sentence in the same paragraph. Also, realize that by breaking this "rule," the rest of your
writing may be scrutinized more harshly. In other words, make sure EVERYONE who reads it knows it is a stylistic choice, not just poor writing skills.
Every applicant needs to decide if they want a PS that is "safe" or "risky."

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:10 pm

B90 wrote:make sure EVERYONE who reads it knows it is a stylistic choice, not just poor writing skills.

+1

fltanglab

Postby fltanglab » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:32 am

I am a really good writer (not being arrogant, just stating a fact) and I happen to use "and" and "but" at the beginning of my sentences quite frequently for effect. Usually if I have written something that flows pretty quickly and then want to drive home a point, I will break up the flow with "and" or "but" at the beginning of the next sentence. Most people don't use this technique well, however.

PickMe!

Postby PickMe! » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:36 am

TripTrip wrote:
B90 wrote:make sure EVERYONE who reads it knows it is a stylistic choice, not just poor writing skills.

+1

+2

B90

Postby B90 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:52 pm

Also, if you do choose a "risky" PS, make sure you also write a less risky one. Send the risky one to reach schools and the other everywhere else.

justonemoregame

Postby justonemoregame » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:02 pm

fltanglab wrote:I am a really good writer (not being arrogant, just stating a fact) and I happen to use "and" and "but" at the beginning of my sentences quite frequently for effect. Usually if I have written something that flows pretty quickly and then want to drive home a point, I will break up the flow with "and" or "but" at the beginning of the next sentence. Most people don't use this technique well, however.

Are you sure you didn't mean to say that you are a totally good writer?

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:08 pm

fltanglab wrote:I am a really good writer (not being arrogant, just stating a fact) and I happen to use "and" and "but" at the beginning of my sentences quite frequently for effect. Usually if I have written something that flows pretty quickly and then want to drive home a point, I will break up the flow with "and" or "but" at the beginning of the next sentence. Most people don't use this technique well, however.

Well, probably not as well as you.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”