Critique my "Why Columbia" Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
francesfarmer

Silver

Critique my "Why Columbia"

Post by francesfarmer » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:41 am

I'm sending a hail mary app to Columbia in anticipation of getting dinged at NYU (ED). Praying to ride the WL at either. Anybody? I'm at work but if you have something you want to trade I can read it for you this evening.

Spritzpiggy

Bronze

Re: Critique my "Why Columbia"

Post by Spritzpiggy » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:07 pm

I don't believe Columbia gives you an option to submit a Why Columbia, just a diversity statement. If you submit one it may look like you are unable to follow directions or you feel they don't apply to you. I almost did the sane thing, but was strongly advised against it.

Edit: if you still want to send it to Columbia you can PM it to me and I'll read through it.

francesfarmer

Silver

Post by francesfarmer » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:12 pm

Is that TCR? I already have a diversity statement. I went to CU undergrad so I kind of like, have stuff to write about. It says you can submit multiple addenda on the application.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:22 pm

Transfer applicants usually write a "Why Columbia" statement, but not sure about 0Ls.

domori

New

Post by domori » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:23 pm

I'd be happy to help

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

francesfarmer

Silver

Post by francesfarmer » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:27 pm

domori wrote:I'd be happy to help
PM'ed you! Thanks!

Spritzpiggy

Bronze

Post by Spritzpiggy » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:26 pm

francesfarmer wrote:Is that TCR? I already have a diversity statement. I went to CU undergrad so I kind of like, have stuff to write about. It says you can submit multiple addenda on the application.
http://www.top-law-schools.com/writing- ... endum.html

Why Columbia is not an addendum, its an essay. Addendums are to address negatives in your application, like a low GPA, an arrest, etc. I would strongly caution you against it as it could negatively affect your app. Read Anna Iveys advice on submitting extra info

Also, if your sole reasons relate to being there for undergrad I'm pretty sure the adcoms will see that on your resume and transcript. Maybe try working with the resume to make it parallel the things you like about Columbia
Last edited by Spritzpiggy on Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

francesfarmer

Silver

Post by francesfarmer » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:28 pm

Spritzpiggy wrote:
francesfarmer wrote:Is that TCR? I already have a diversity statement. I went to CU undergrad so I kind of like, have stuff to write about. It says you can submit multiple addenda on the application.
http://www.top-law-schools.com/writing- ... endum.html

Why Columbia is not an addendum, its an essay. Addendum ls are to address negatives in your application, like a low GPA, an arrest, etc. I would strongly caution you against it as it could negatively affect your app. Read Anna Iveys advice on submitting extra info

Also, if your sole reasons relate to being there for undergrad I'm pretty sure the adcoms will see that on your resume and transcript. Maybe try working with the resume to make it parallel the things you like about Columbia
I realize its not an addendum.

Spritzpiggy

Bronze

Post by Spritzpiggy » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:31 pm

Weave it into the DS. I was in the same boat and have great reasons for Columbia, but I made the most important one a part of my DS. Its hard to walk away from a good essay, bit better than having Columbia walk away from you. Good luck! If you still want to send it I'll be glad to critique.

francesfarmer

Silver

Post by francesfarmer » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:33 pm

Spritzpiggy wrote:Weave it into the DS
Oooooh. Good thought.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”