PDF, .doc, what format?!!

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
gatorgirl2012

PDF, .doc, what format?!!

Postby gatorgirl2012 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:03 am

This is quite nuanced but this application will be heavily scrutinized and I hope its not a giant faux pas to use one over the other. I prefer PDF because it maintains formatting and it can't be edited, though I still have doubts because for example HR departments prefer .doc because its better suited for their evaluation process. Does anyone have any idea? If not, it would at the very least be useful to know how most people upload their docs....

rinkrat19

Re: PDF, .doc, what format?!!

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:07 am

Um, do you have a CAS account on LSAC yet? There are instructions.

(spoiler: .doc)

gatorgirl2012

Postby gatorgirl2012 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:16 am

Sorry, jokes on me, lol. Last year I began applications but chickened out and I was able to upload PDFs fine, so this was a lingering question. Below are the exact directions, for any non-readers like me:

Supported file formats: DOC, HTM, HTML, TXT, WP, WPD, RTF, WPS, WPT, DOCX
Note: PDFs are not supported because they may contain items that cannot be merged with other documents.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:19 am

The system combines everything you upload, your letters and your transcripts and academic summary report and LSAT scores into one big PDF file for the schools. A Word doc, assuming you don't do anything weird with the margins or something, will look fine.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”