In Need of Help with My Addendum, Please

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Columbia11

In Need of Help with My Addendum, Please

Postby Columbia11 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:39 pm

I had a choice of either raising my LSAT score so I could be a contender for Loyola Law, or give up on my dream of practicing law. With that said, I had to overcome obstacles like no other just to have my current score. The adversity I encountered first began when I was admitted to John Marshall Law School, which is located in Chicago, Illinois, last year but had to defer my admission for over a year because of both financial obligations and reasons. For example, if I relocated to Chicago, then it would be quite difficult, given our economic condition, to pay my car note, student loans, and other miscellaneous bills. Furthermore, the cost of living in Chicago is beyond my financial means.
One of the advantages, for me, of attending law school in state is the opportunity to reside at home, rent-free. In addition, the employer I work for is very supportive in my school endeavors and is willing to accommodate my school schedule with my work schedule. My parents' cannot afford to assist me, in any way, if I relocated out of state. The problems I had did not stop short of just financial reasons.

Raising my LSAT score was no walk in the park. The first time I took the LSAT, my senior semester, I failed miserably. I had no idea what to study and how to study yet still took it. After I graduated, I had no choice but to raise my score because I could not afford to relocate to Chicago. So, I began my journey of studying everyday for hours and at the same time working full time as a valet attendant. When the second opportunity came around for me to face the LSAT, I failed again. This time I earned a score that was lower than my first attempt. Not having any improvements whatsoever almost caused me to give up on the LSAT and just change my career; however, I found the courage inside of me to not give up and give it one last attempt.

The fact that one can only take the LSAT three times in one year did not diminish any pressure off of my back; instead, it reminded me everyday that if I do not improve, then I cannot go to law school. On my last attempt to improve my score, I used any resource that I could get my hands on. I studied more effectively than I did on my second attempt. Also, I learned from my mistakes and tried to understand the intricacies of the exam, i.e., I tried to think just like the LSAT writers.

All suggestions are appreciated! Thank you...
Last edited by Columbia11 on Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CanadianWolf

Re: In Need of Help with My Addendum, Please

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:45 pm

Enroll in a LSAT prep course such as PowerScore, TestMasters, Manhattan, Velocity, etc.

Columbia11

Postby Columbia11 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:46 pm

I already took the LSAT last Saturday. I used Manhattan LSAT prep and lsatblog.com. I am just writing my addendum in advance because I know I raised my score this time around.

Columbia11

Postby Columbia11 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:48 pm

The law school that I want to apply to requires applicants to submit a letter explaining why you took the LSAT more than once.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:51 pm

With two scores in the mid & low 140s, you need to show substantial improvement in order to get into Loyola Marymount. Your LSAT addendum could consist of just a few sentences noting that you didn't prepare for your first two sittings, but that you took a prep course for your third try.

Columbia11

Postby Columbia11 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:53 pm

I am trying to attend Loyola Law New Orleans. I am an alumni of Loyola New Orleans so hopefully that helps me out.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:58 pm

Was/is there an actual ultimatum given by a law school ?

OP: Your initial post in this thread has several errors & is a bit unclear. Why law school ?

Columbia11

Postby Columbia11 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:15 pm

No, the law school of my choice did not require an ultimatum; rather, I had to make an ultimatum with myself. I cannot afford to move out of state, so I have to raise my score up or choose a different career path. Does that clear it up?

I would like to become a lawyer so I can show everybody that dreams do come true if you work hard. I have always been fascinated by the law. I find it interesting being able to disprove your clients alleged charges with evidence and what not. I have plenty of other reasons to why I want to become a lawyer. I'm just trying to get advice on my addendum-- that's it.

Columbia11

Postby Columbia11 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:17 pm

Loyola law school just wants me to explain why I took the lsat more than one time.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:21 pm

That's a lot of pearl-clutching and hand-wringing over nothing.

"For financial and family reasons, I want to attend law school in [X] state. My first two LSAT scores were not high enough, due to poor studying techniques. The third time, I studied more effectively and achieved a 1XX. The end."

cynthiad

Postby cynthiad » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:22 pm

You took the LSAT more than once because you needed a higher score to get into Loyola. No need to tell your life story in an addendum.

Columbia11

Postby Columbia11 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:24 pm

Thank you both for your input!!!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”