Feedback on GPA addendum Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Smjocn

New

Feedback on GPA addendum

Post by Smjocn » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:01 pm

Hey guys, some feedback on this GPA addendum would be great, I want to make sure I'm being as concise as I need to be:

I have suffered from anxiety since high school. My father had a major heart attack and was diagnosed with heart disease in the middle of my freshmen year, and with the possibility of being taken out of XXXXXXX on an extended leave, I suffered more severe anxiety up through my junior year. I do not consider my grades during the end of my freshman year through my sophomore year to be indicative of my actual abilities. Despite my determination to not let my anxiety and occasional panic attacks affect my grades, my memorization skills during that time period were weakened by the anxiety, which gave me an unnaturally difficult time in French and Statistics.

Since then I have been regularly seeing a counselor who has helped me learn ways to cope with my anxiety and handle stressful situations. I believe the end of my junior year and beginning of my senior year better reflect my capabilities. My cumulative major GPA (3.5) is more indicative of my academic abilities. I hope the admissions council takes this into consideration when reviewing my application.

MarcusAurelius

Bronze

Re: Feedback on GPA addendum

Post by MarcusAurelius » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:57 am

Its a tough call, but if I were you, I wouldn't tell any of the schools I'm applying to that I have anxiety. I'd especially steer clear of telling them that it has the potential to screw up my grades. There's a thread on this topic I believe - but the guy had depression instead of anxiety

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”