Is this my final personal statement?! Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
totalmajor

New

Is this my final personal statement?!

Post by totalmajor » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:40 pm

Growing up as a child, I have always had this endless drive for success. I did not just build Lego sets, I spent countless hours getting the details right on each of my projects. I made sure to spend time exploring different hobbies, looking for something I would like. The night I visited my uncle and aunt’s house in 5th grade is the night that changed everything for me.

We’d occasionally go out and see my aunt and uncle on the other side of the city. I was no stranger to my extended family, but I wasn’t comfortable enough to leave my parents when they were thinking about going shopping. My uncle started calming me down by pointing to a glowing screen on the other side of the room - a computer. I sat down at the desk and stared. I had no idea what was going on. Then, a card game flashes on the screen. “Wow” was the first word that sputtered out of my mouth, “what else do you have?” I forgot my parents ever left.

I spent the rest of the afternoon messing around with different settings, playing different games. Even printing my first picture I drew in Paint. The drive back home was tough, I needed to spend more time exploring the insides of the computer. Eventually, I was able to persuade my parents to cave in and buy one for our own home. Little did they know, that computer would be in pieces the very next day. I pulled it apart and put it back together in a couple of hours. It wasn’t until I first heard about the internet that things started changing for the better.

As a first generation Polish child, I was not accustomed to what seemed to be the standard in American homes: internet, cable TV, a dishwasher. Anything I wanted to do, I needed to figure out on my own. Not because my parents were opposed, they just didn’t understand. I was the liaison between my parents and my outside social world. My parents jokingly claim I’m the reason they never learned to speak English, I never gave them the opportunity to do so.

I found ways of connecting to the internet for free, using either Walmart Blue Light CD’s or persuading the AOL Customer Support staff to extend my free trials knowing my parents would never release their credit card information to an unknown service and even as a last resort, tinkering with files to remove the advertising from Juno’s free service.

By the end of the 8th grade, I started my first online business. My father was the landlord for a substandard apartment complex in the outskirts of the city. As a forgiving man, he would occasionally take items in place of rent if the tenant needed some extra time. Eventually, my dad was running out of things to do with these items. That was when I opened up my first eBay store. My dad would bring home items and I would evaluate them, clean them if needed and list them on eBay’s website. Eventually, Sunday mornings were dedicated to going over what I could sell and for how much. I ended up selling everything else and more, until I happened to graze over a website development advertisement. I spent the time learn the basic web design skills and managed to create a constant flow of money for myself. I would charge $50 logos, $100 for websites. My mom was getting nervous I was making this much money as a kid. Even in today’s standards $50 is a solid day’s work. Every time she asked me about it, I glowed with enthusiasm, “awesome, isn’t it?”

High school came and went just like every other teenage problem. Instead of taking out my frustrations on my friends and family, I ventured into my own, internet world. I started skating in my free time to keep my mind off of things like the ACT and college. During this time I saw the potential in an online skating community in which skaters were able to upload and share their own videos. The website did well enough that I had Best Buy advertisements on the front page. This drive for a solid business model kept growing inside of me. I started another website a couple months later that revolved around the Subaru community, based on my dad’s car that he let me drive. Granted, it was just a small purple SUV but that small purple SUV helped build the framework for a community of like-minded car enthusiasts in the Chicago area. I helped foster the community by reaching out to other individuals who were interested in cars, found the right programmers and designers and created a marketing task force. We would go out to local car meetings, pass out flyers and eventually cultivated a group of people with the same similar interests.

I flourished as an individual after being accepted to the University of Illinois. Without the careful watch of my parents, I was capable of exploring my horizons few and far between, experiencing what it felt like to join a fraternity, clubs, organizations; I made sure I got a taste of everything. My sophomore year, my fraternity was in trouble. I knew something needed to be done, so I created a website in order to connect to the long-lost alumni we needed to keep our house alive. I set up cold calling teams and routed everyone to the website where I received over 1,000 comments dating back to alumni from the 1930’s. I still keep in touch with many of those alumni today.

Over the years, I’ve learned to take advantage of the resources around me. I understand the potential of the internet and I only use it as a tool to my disposal. I stay ahead of the curve and I know this will be one of the most important skills I have further down the road in my career. As a lawyer, the possibilities are limitless. From starting a legal help website or creating a new community website that’ll take advantage of my legal degree, I will be able to take what’s given to me and cultivate a market for myself. With a Juris Doctorate, I will gain a set of skills that combined with my natural resourcefulness will better serve my clients in the future. The Depaul University College of Law provides that set of skills through their Business Law certification. As my business ventures grow and materialize into a career, the expertise offered by this certification will provide me with the knowledge I need to build upon the success I’ve been striving for since my childhood.

MarcusAurelius

Bronze

Re: Is this my final personal statement?!

Post by MarcusAurelius » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:03 am

I found ways of connecting to the internet for free, using either Walmart Blue Light CD’s or persuading the AOL Customer Support staff to extend my free trials knowing my parents would never release their credit card information to an unknown service and even as a last resort, tinkering with files to remove the advertising from Juno’s free service.

jeffyl00b

New

Post by jeffyl00b » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:32 pm

Hi. My personal statement is unorthodox and I've been lurking around to see if any are close to my situation or if I'm going in the wrong direction....

But I must say yours captivated my interest and I actually went the whole way though. I don't know what admissions looks for other than "captivating" or different, so congratulations if they like it as well!

totalmajor

New

Post by totalmajor » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:31 pm

Wow cool thanks!

violettre

New

Post by violettre » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:29 am

I really enjoyed reading this. Great job.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”