Character and Fitness Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
bumblebeetuna

New

Character and Fitness

Post by bumblebeetuna » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:00 pm

Well, what do you think?

In the summer of 2009 my extended family was visiting from Florida. We were staying in Cape May Point, New Jersey. My cousin, Jessica, is several years younger than I but significantly older than the rest of our cousins. I decided to take her out for ice cream one night in Avalon, New Jersey, where I was working for the summer.

I was pulled over by the Avalon Police Chief for having only one headlight working. I did not have my registration in my wallet, so I opened my glove compartment and pulled out its contents onto my lap. There lay a knife I had brought crabbing a few days prior. I lifted the knife with both hands, palms facing up, and displayed it to the policeman. The officer began yelling “drop the knife” repeatedly. I was taken out of the car. As I was being cuffed against the side of my car, the officer asked me “how old is the girl?”

“Fifteen,” I replied.

“FIFTEEN!” exclaimed the officer. I was promptly placed in the patrol car.

Several other police cars arrived on the scene and thoroughly searched my car. At the station I was booked for the possession of a weapon in a motor vehicle, nothing else. I was fully cooperative and respectful throughout the entire process and was even told that they appreciate my behavior and it will “help me.”

I was released into the custody of my mother and aunt who were waiting, along with my cousin—the daughter of the aforementioned aunt—on the steps of the police station. I was subsequently issued a summons to appear in court to determine whether I would be formally charged. I hired a lawyer who appeared in court for me. The case was dismissed and the record of its happening subsequently expunged.

In concurrence with my lawyer, the judge and arresting officer regarded this matter as a gross, perhaps even comedic, miscommunication.

gaud

Platinum

Re: Character and Fitness

Post by gaud » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:09 pm

Just give them facts; don't make it a story.

florida1949

Bronze

Post by florida1949 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:23 pm

gaud wrote:Just give them facts; don't make it a story.
yeah, the simpler the better

In 2009, I was pulled over for a missing headlight. There was a knife in the glovebox... I was charged with X, this was the outcome X.

Gradvocates Editing

New

Post by Gradvocates Editing » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:55 pm

gaud wrote:Just give them facts; don't make it a story.
Exactly. Cut to the chase. Furthermore, the exchange about your cousin being fifteen years old is completely irrelevant as you were not charged with anything involving a minor ("At the station I was booked for the possession of a weapon in a motor vehicle, nothing else.").

bumblebeetuna

New

Post by bumblebeetuna » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:57 am

Ok, thanks everybody for feedback.

jcm043

New

Post by jcm043 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:47 pm

Strong advice above, just the facts. ALSO - Research the C&F of the states you think you might want to practice in. Make sure you C&F on applications meets the state bar's C&F also. All law school apps go to the state bars when you apply for the bar.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”