Do you like this middle Class White Guy Diversity Statement? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
fallen_frames

New

Do you like this middle Class White Guy Diversity Statement?

Post by fallen_frames » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:05 pm

Update: Deleted.

Thank you all for the input.
Last edited by fallen_frames on Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sokomofo

Bronze

Re: Do you like this middle Class White Guy Diversity Statement?

Post by sokomofo » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:24 pm

Last edited by sokomofo on Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jgconte

New

Post by jgconte » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:29 pm

fallen_frames wrote:` considering that I am the least diverse person ever.
Prefacing a diversity statement with this doesnt really help your cause, you know?

fallen_frames wrote: I had the unique opportunity to become well rounded in the practical application of a variety of legal areas. In the pursuit of exposure, I have developed a unique and comprehensive legal perspective that I plan to contribute to further enrich the --- legal community.
1) How is this a unique opportunity?
2) Having a legal internship is not likely to contribute to the diversity of a law school because I am sure almost everyone will have had one as well man.

I think its a horrible idea and will cause confusion/hurt app

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:41 pm

You should not be writing a diversity statement. Period.

zanda

Silver

Post by zanda » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:45 pm

Despite the Supreme Court pretending this is all about diversity of viewpoints, if you're white, male, and heteronormative you're not diverse. Scrap the idea completely.

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:51 pm

fallen_frames wrote:Thank you for reading, I just wanted to see if was okay for me to do this type of diversity statement considering that I am the least diverse person ever.
Please be honest.

“What type of lawyer do you want to be?” I have frequently been asked this question, but have yet to deliver a suitable answer. I started my internship observing court proceedings thinking I could narrow my legal scope by eliminating areas of disinterest. On my first day, however, I could not predict the effect of this experience on my mentality and my perspective. I had the unique opportunity to become well rounded in the practical application of a variety of legal areas. In the pursuit of exposure, I have developed a unique and comprehensive legal perspective that I plan to contribute to further enrich the --- legal community.
Come next fall my classmates and I will be consumed by abstract rules and conceptual theories, so it will be valuable for me to ground these principles in concrete applications. While learning tort theory, for instance, I will relate the experience of watching a gastroenterologist establish how a surgeon breached the ‘standard of care’ of a colonoscopy. To exemplify the damage of an impeachment to a witness’ credibility, I will discuss how I saw jurors roll their eyes in distrust towards the trial’s key witness. From my perspective in civil procedure, I will discuss the significant complications within the jury-selection process. Regardless of if I was observing tax negotiations or learning lessons of client-attorney relations, I could see myself being passionate and content in the role of many of these attorneys.
I may not know what type of lawyer I will be, but this experience has shown me that there are many types that I want to be. While abstract rules and conceptual theories are an inescapable part of law school, my comprehensive legal perspective and my passion for continuing to diversify my legal experiences will help ground these concepts into meaningful and applicable learning.
U mad bro? :lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”