Charecter and fitness statement: How bad does this screw me?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Anonymous User

Charecter and fitness statement: How bad does this screw me?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:01 pm

Ok, how bad is this going to hurt my law school apps? There is no way to feel good about admitting to being arrested, or having a judgement in small claims. I also have 1 speeding ticket (75 in a 60), 2 seatbelt tickets, and a written warning for disregarding a stop sign., but all those tickets where paid, Im really worried about the following. (will this hurt my chances as bad as having a lower lsat score? if so how many point should I take of my lsat to get an accurate indicater on the probability calculators?)

Date: 4/20/2002 Age 16
Violation: Minor consumption/curfew violation/ theft
After drinking alcohol with some friends I was discovered walking home by police, and was detained in a youth facility for approximately 48 hours for suspicion of a theft that had occurred in the area in which I was found. It was discovered through police investigation that I was not involved in the theft that had occurred, and these charges where dismissed. Fortunately, despite my obvious intoxication, charges were not filed through the juvenile courts for the minor consumption or curfew violation either.

Final Outcome: Dismissed/ Expunged with juvenile record

Date: 10/23/2007 Age 21
Violation: Domestic Battery
After a verbal altercation with my wife, police were called by a neighbor that resulted in my arrest for domestic battery. I was held at the county jail for 48 hours and released. It was my position and it remains my position that I did not direct any violence toward my wife in any way. The alleged victim and I are still married, and I had full intention of entering a plea of not guilty for these charges. Fortunately, the prosecuting attorney’s office decided not to pursue the charges, and I was therefore never arraigned.

Final Outcome: Dismissed

Date 3/3/2008 Age 22
Violation judgment

After vacating an apartment there was a dispute over alleged damages to the carpet and other wear and tear to the unit. A small claims matter was filed by the landlord in an attempt to collect the sum of approximately $3,000, and I contested the matter. It was later determined by the Small Claims Court, USA that I was partial responsible for some stains on carpet, but not fully liable for all damages. A judgment of $900 was ordered for the plaintiff.

Final Outcome: Full judgment order was paid within 5 months of determination.

gaud

Re: Charecter and fitness statement: How bad does this screw me?

Postby gaud » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:02 pm

I'd take "fortunately" out of the second one

AlanShore

Postby AlanShore » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:19 pm

gaud wrote:I'd take "fortunately" out of the second one

justonemoregame

Postby justonemoregame » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:31 pm

Are you submitting this addendum in rapsheet format? If you don't have to list them this way, I wouldn't. Unless otherwise instructed, I think you can leave out the minor tickets like seatbelts, speeding, parking.

For the first item, I would also delete "despite my obvious intoxication."

I'm wondering if you have to include the first item at all, or if you do, if you have to include the information about the suspicion of theft. I would probably just shorten this if you want to be forthcoming about the minor consumption - say you were held, questioned, and no charges were filed.

For the second item, I would trade "oral/verbal disagreement" for "verbal altercation." I think you could shorten this entry also, but it's good to make clear that you are still married and your wife did not press charges against you. I would probably eliminate the second sentence about how long you were held. For the last sentence, yes, eliminate "Fortunately," and the phrase after the last comma.

Last item: In 2008, I paid a smalls claims order after obtaining a favorable decision regarding the appropriate clean-up charge after vacating my apartment. (or something similar)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:32 pm

Wormfather wrote:This is a shitty personal statement.

Everyone else has to put their name on their C&F issues, what makes you so special?

Sorry! I just found these matters to be personal, and wanted some advice. BTW, I may have missed it but i didnt see a forum to post C&F questions, thats why its here because I figured it would fall closest to the "statement" category.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:39 pm

justonemoregame wrote:Are you submitting this addendum in rapsheet format? If you don't have to list them this way, I wouldn't. Unless otherwise instructed, I think you can leave out the minor tickets like seatbelts, speeding, parking.

For the first item, I would also delete "despite my obvious intoxication."

I'm wondering if you have to include the first item at all, or if you do, if you have to include the information about the suspicion of theft. I would probably just shorten this if you want to be forthcoming about the minor consumption - say you were held, questioned, and no charges were filed.

For the second item, I would trade "oral/verbal disagreement" for "verbal altercation." I think you could shorten this entry also, but it's good to make clear that you are still married and your wife did not press charges against you. I would probably eliminate the second sentence about how long you were held. For the last sentence, yes, eliminate "Fortunately," and the phrase after the last comma.

Last item: In 2008, I paid a smalls claims order after obtaining a favorable decision regarding the appropriate clean-up charge after vacating my apartment. (or something similar)

Thanks for the input, how badly do you think my chances are hurt? The reason why I mention the theft is because I went to the police dept. and discovered they had it listed as Theft/recieving stolen property! I always thought it was minor consumption and actually forget all about being asked about theft until they told me that. they just mention the curfew violation and underage drinking as secondary charges.

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:46 pm

I agree with the above advice (especially regarding removing "despite obvious intoxication"), and I don't think this stuff will give you much trouble - your spelling (in the title) is a bigger offense IMO

<<<------is being "that person"

justonemoregame

Postby justonemoregame » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:49 pm

Just my opinion, but I don't think these hurt you too badly. They should readily forgive things that occured when you were 16. The last item isn't a crime - if you don't pay the bill, maybe, but the bill was disputed, modified, and paid, so no problem there.

The second item sucks, but there was no charge, and if you use soft language, I think you get a pass there. If your LSAT is above median, you definitely get a pass. Only way this hurts is tie-break situations, I think.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:09 pm

So the second item is the worst? I was thinking the first was, I literally freaked out when the policesaid the word theft today in when describing my charges!

Anonymous User

Re: Character and fitness statement: How bad does this screw me?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:05 pm

Ok made some changes does this sound better? BTW, I am listing each offense in this order/format because the application specificly request it be done in this way. Any feedback would be appreciated, Thanks!

Date: 4/20/2002 Age 16
Violation: Minor Consumption/ Curfew violation/ Theft
After drinking alcohol with some friends I was discovered walking home by police, and was detained in a youth facility for suspicion of a theft that had occurred in the area in which I was found. Further police investigation revealed that I was not the culprit of the theft, and I was released to my guardian after approximately 48 hours. Fortunately, charges were not filed in juvenile court with regard to the minor consumption or the curfew violation.

Final Outcome: Dismissed/ Expunged with juvenile record

Date: 10/23/2007 Age 21
Violation: Domestic Battery
During an oral disagreement with my wife police were called by a neighbor and despite the denial by both my wife and myself that any violence had occurred, I was placed under arrest. It remains my position that no violence occurred, and the alleged victim and I have also remained married. I was released from county jail after 48 hours of incarceration. It was my intention to enter a plea of not guilty for this crime, yet I was not arraigned due to the prosecuting attorney’s decision not to pursue the charge.

Final Outcome: Dismissed

Date 3/3/2008 Age 22
Violation: judgment
After vacating an apartment there was a dispute over alleged damages to the carpet and other wear and tear within the unit. A complaint was filed by the landlord in an attempt to collect the sum of approximately $3,000 in small claims court. The matter was contested and it was later determined by the small claims court USA that I was not fully responsible for all damages, but that I was partially responsible for staining of the carpet. A judgment of $900 was ordered for the plaintiff and was promptly paid.

Final Outcome: Full judgment paid

SemperLegal

Postby SemperLegal » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:50 pm

Why are you mentioning the booze at all? It was never charged or alleged. Why not just say you were arrested in a case of mistaken identity and no charges were filed?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:01 pm

SemperLegal wrote:Why are you mentioning the booze at all? It was never charged or alleged. Why not just say you were arrested in a case of mistaken identity and no charges were filed?

Isn't the state bar gonna read the police report eventually? Underage drinking is listed as a charge in the report, couldn't I get in trouble for leaving that out?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:
SemperLegal wrote:Why are you mentioning the booze at all? It was never charged or alleged. Why not just say you were arrested in a case of mistaken identity and no charges were filed?

Isn't the state bar gonna read the police report eventually? Underage drinking is listed as a charge in the report, couldn't I get in trouble for leaving that out?

Obviously the answer is no, I will think of a way to reword this and repost.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Just say that while walking home late at night you were detained on suspicion of a theft that occurred in the area but that you were released without charge.

If the police report mentions alcohol, say you were detained on suspicion of underage consumption but was not charged

jcm043

Postby jcm043 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:52 pm

looks fine, Just a FYI as you call it a "final outcome" can be referred to as a "Disposition."

I would take a heavy look at which ever state bar you think you might eventually apply for admission to. Check out their C&F info.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”