Personal Statement Topic Help

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )

Personal Statement Topic Help

Postby clouded.memory » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:02 pm

[Edit: Thank you to everyone who gave me feedback! I'm going to end up going with the first topic, as I don't think I'm quite talented enough to pull off the second. Thanks again!]
Last edited by clouded.memory on Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Personal Statement Topic Help

Postby Davidbentley » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:19 pm

I have an immediate aversion to the X-men, as I tend to think that the whole start with something obscure and analogize to something else thing is a bit tortured. But, my general advice is to write both. Then, see which one you think is better.

Postby powder » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:55 pm

I find it difficult to take comic books seriously and I can imagine an adcom reading a Storm PS with a critical eye. If you're a brilliant writer and you're sure you can pull it off, go for it. Otherwise, do the first topic. Topic one draws on family, discrimination, education, and advocacy in one swoop; there's a lot going for it.

Postby CorkBoard » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:13 pm

Postby canarykb » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:52 am

I think number one most clearly fits as a law school personal statement, and seems fairly straightforward to write an effective story that weaves together your academic interests, personal life, and character.

That being said, I feel like the Xmen one has the potential to be a knockout if it's written creatively and very very well.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”