Personal Statement Topic Advice Needed.. Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
jenlt

New

Personal Statement Topic Advice Needed..

Post by jenlt » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:04 pm

I have no idea what to write about... I drafted a very rough first paragraph and wondered if this was even what I should be writing about. Basically, my idea was to kind of talk about how I decided I wanted to go to law school but I didn't know if it made me seem noncommittal or that I'm just choosing law school because I don't know what else to do. I also feel like its too bland. Any criticisms are welcome!
Last edited by jenlt on Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

honeybadger12

Bronze

Re: Personal Statement Topic Advice Needed..

Post by honeybadger12 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:34 pm

jenlt wrote:I have no idea what to write about... I drafted a very rough first paragraph and wondered if this was even what I should be writing about. Basically, my idea was to kind of talk about how I decided I wanted to go to law school but I didn't know if it made me seem noncommittal or that I'm just choosing law school because I don't know what else to do. I also feel like its too bland. Any criticisms are welcome!

When my standing officially changed from sophomore to junior I knew that the time had come for me to decide what I wanted to do once I graduated from college. Up until this point I had allowed myself to postpone the inevitable. When I graduated from high school I told myself that it was perfectly fine to be undecided, that I was one step ahead of the majority of my peers who has declared a major but would soon decide that he or she had made the wrong decision. As time passed and I began to fill my general education requirements I knew that I would soon need to make a decision. After taking multiple career aptitude tests and conducting some research, I enrolled in Introduction to Trial Advocacy to learn about what being a lawyer would entail and ended up learning quite a bit about myself as well.
It's helpful that you thought through this and have your thoughts on paper, but it's not what you should write about for your PS. You should do some research on the personal statement genre; I'd start with the TLS Guide on this site, and then read the PS chapters from admissions books. I read books by Anna Ivey, Joyce Curll, and Richard Montauk and would recommend each of those...

CorkBoard

Gold

Re: Personal Statement Topic Advice Needed..

Post by CorkBoard » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:40 pm

jenlt wrote:I have no idea what to write about... I drafted a very rough first paragraph and wondered if this was even what I should be writing about. Basically, my idea was to kind of talk about how I decided I wanted to go to law school but I didn't know if it made me seem noncommittal or that I'm just choosing law school because I don't know what else to do. I also feel like its too bland. Any criticisms are welcome!

When my standing officially changed from sophomore to junior I knew that the time had come for me to decide what I wanted to do once I graduated from college. Up until this point I had allowed myself to postpone the inevitable. When I graduated from high school I told myself that it was perfectly fine to be undecided, that I was one step ahead of the majority of my peers who has declared a major but would soon decide that he or she had made the wrong decision. As time passed and I began to fill my general education requirements I knew that I would soon need to make a decision. After taking multiple career aptitude tests and conducting some research, I enrolled in Introduction to Trial Advocacy to learn about what being a lawyer would entail and ended up learning quite a bit about myself as well.
This isn't a good topic. HTH

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”