Too Personal?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
NicoleLauren17

Too Personal?

Postby NicoleLauren17 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:08 pm

Is writing about overcoming an anxiety disorder/ dealing with my brother's drug addiction too personal?

Obviously I understand that the PS needs to show why these events are significant, how they changed me, how they help to make me qualified for law school/make me want to attend law school, etc., but I'm wondering whether or not these topics are appropriate. I don't want to make anyone reading my PS uncomfortable.

Thanks in advance!

Scotusnerd

Re: Too Personal?

Postby Scotusnerd » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:27 pm

General guidelines: if you have to ask if it is too x, it is probably too x.

I would not discuss those topics with the selection committee for your law schools. You are writing a personal statement, not a personal statement. This is a public document where you give them a sales pitch. It is not a personal journal. I'd find something that you have done that makes you unique in a positive light, not a negative one.

I'm not trying to belittle your issues. Addiction and anxiety disorders are very serious problems with no easy solutions. The fact that you dealt with them is an important achievement in your life. But if I were a college professor reading applications, I would likely give yours a pass in favor of an applicant who did food drives or otherwise goody two-shoes.

Read last year's incoming class profile. Subjects like the ones the school talks about (Ambassador to the UN, former music teacher, crop duster mechanic, ran a gym for disabled veterans in your spare time, whatever.) are appropriate for discussion in a personal statement. If you can't see your school trumpeting it in their profile, it's probably not a good subject.

Hope that helps!

zoomzoom88

Postby zoomzoom88 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:05 pm

+1 to making it a statement. you're trying to impress them not give them your life story. unless you want to pursue x law bc of x situation i would go with something else.

CorkBoard

Postby CorkBoard » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:25 pm

NicoleLauren17 wrote:Is writing about overcoming an anxiety disorder/ dealing with my brother's drug addiction too personal?

Obviously I understand that the PS needs to show why these events are significant, how they changed me, how they help to make me qualified for law school/make me want to attend law school, etc., but I'm wondering whether or not these topics are appropriate. I don't want to make anyone reading my PS uncomfortable.

Thanks in advance!

I wouldn't write about this topic.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”