Writer's Block Success Stories

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
taf889

Writer's Block Success Stories

Postby taf889 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:59 pm

I've gone through 8 versions of personal statements and countless more edits/drafts. I simply cannot capture what I want to. Anyone have any ideas for someone who is utterly stuck?

CorkBoard

Re: Writer's Block Success Stories

Postby CorkBoard » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:31 pm

I just let mine come naturally to me. Happened when I wasn't thinking or stressing out about it, although I struggled with a topic for a while. YMMV.

collegebum1989

Postby collegebum1989 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:31 am

I'd say don't obsess over writing style when first drafting an essay. Think about what you want to write and put it on paper. Once you figure out the topic, the scope and the main idea, you can iron out the writing style to make it aesthetically pleasing.

Postby 20130312 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:32 am

taf889 wrote:Writer's Block Success Stories

This one time, I was really unsure of what to write. And then it just came to me.

CorkBoard

Postby CorkBoard » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:13 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:

This one time, I was really unsure of what to write. And then it just came to me.

Beats writing a bunch of SPS just to write about something. I didn't say it worked for everyone (YMMV).

OP, is it the topic you are having problems with, or the writing itself?

taf889

Postby taf889 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:31 pm

CorkBoard wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:

Beats writing a bunch of SPS just to write about something. I didn't say it worked for everyone (YMMV).

Definitely the topic. I'm not sure if I have to write about why I want to go to law school, and because I'm writing a diversity statement, i'm having trouble finding a topic since most of them relate to my ethnic background and i don't want to crowd on the DS.

I am completely stumped and just cannot think of want i want to convey to adcomm.

Dany

Postby Dany » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:34 pm

Make your diversity statement into a PS.

collegebum1989

Postby collegebum1989 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:51 pm

taf889 wrote:
CorkBoard wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:

Definitely the topic. I'm not sure if I have to write about why I want to go to law school, and because I'm writing a diversity statement, i'm having trouble finding a topic since most of them relate to my ethnic background and i don't want to crowd on the DS.

I am completely stumped and just cannot think of want i want to convey to adcomm.

Read the examples of personal statements on TLS, or even better, start giving people feedback on their personal statements. The process of critiquing other people's work was what enabled me to put my experiences into context.

Even if it doesn't help, reading other people's essays also helps become a better personal statement writer anyway, so it's always good to do that if your stuck in writer's block.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”