I'm getting really confused about the "Why law" advice

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
fiestaoffire

I'm getting really confused about the "Why law" advice

Postby fiestaoffire » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:42 pm

So normally, the people on these boards don't contradict one another on certain issues. Usually when there is a disagreement, one person is pretty clearly incorrect or the issue has no definite correct answer. But I've been getting some conflicting advice on whether I should tie my PS to why I'm interested in law.

In my original topic asking for critiques on my PS (viewtopic.php?f=18&t=190443), I got a few recommendations to explain in my PS why I want to be a lawyer. But one of the posters made an edit to his/her post, stating that he/she's learning that it might not be a good idea to do that. I found another topic (viewtopic.php?f=18&t=190511) that suggests the same thing: namely that it might not be helpful or important to address that fact.

Frankly, I'm running out of room and am afraid I'd have to make major changes to my PS, potentially cutting out some important background information in order to fit in why I'm interested in law. And honestly, my interest in specifically going to law school and pursuing a career in law is pretty tangential to what I'm writing about and I don't think I could make it flow as well as I'd like it to. But I also don't want my PS to drag me down. My GPA is solid and, if nothing goes wrong, my LSAT score will put me in range for some of the T14 schools, and the last thing I want is my PS being the thing that keeps me from getting in or getting more scholarship money.

So pretty much I'm asking is if anyone could provide an explanation to this inconsistency among posters or provide some links that give more weight to one position over the other for me to read. It would definitely be much appreciated.

smaug_

Re: I'm getting really confused about the "Why law" advice

Postby smaug_ » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:07 pm

I forgot where the post was, but I seem to recall someone compiling what Deans say about this. They don't really agree, iirc. I think, in general, it is better to have an idea as to why you want law, but I think being very specific about what you want can be a negative.

Most importantly, it probably doesn't matter. As long as your PS isn't AWFUL, I'm sure you'll be fine. I'd like to see an example of PS that kept someone out or got someone in who didn't have the numbers. (As the PS doesn't really seem to matter at all.)

JCFindley

Re: I'm getting really confused about the "Why law" advice

Postby JCFindley » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:35 pm

hibiki wrote:I forgot where the post was, but I seem to recall someone compiling what Deans say about this. They don't really agree, iirc. I think, in general, it is better to have an idea as to why you want law, but I think being very specific about what you want can be a negative.

Most importantly, it probably doesn't matter. As long as your PS isn't AWFUL, I'm sure you'll be fine. I'd like to see an example of PS that kept someone out or got someone in who didn't have the numbers. (As the PS doesn't really seem to matter at all.)

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=179800

There ya go. (Though, I am sure it was the resume as much as the PS but it was the PS that got the resume looked at in more detail.)

I kind of tacked the "why law" on at the end BTW.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”