Question about PS Subject/Topic Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Gtown

New

Question about PS Subject/Topic

Post by Gtown » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:44 am

So when I had to do applications to get into undergrad, I hated all these essays. I always felt like they were so cheesy and corny and that its incredibly difficult to strike a proper balance between deep and cliche/borderline stupid.

So I have been thinking about my PS for law school and here is the idea I have. I have a 9 year old sister who was born with Downs syndrome and I have started to see my becoming a lawyer as being an advocate for my sister, and possibly for other families that have children with disabilities. Recently, I have been able to see how difficult it is for parents (well my parents) to navigate the school system given my sisters disability. Schools have done things which though not illegal per se, things that were not in keeping with the guidelines that they should have been doing. Obviously there are many long stories which I wont have time to get into here or on the actual PS but things have been tough at times.

Could I talk about these troubles and how it has impacted me? How my becoming a lawyer is a way of advocating for my sister? And possibly project the troubles she has had with school to challenges she may face in the future and how I could advocate for her when that time comes?

Thank you for any thoughts/feedback.

CorkBoard

Gold

Re: Question about PS Subject/Topic

Post by CorkBoard » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:54 am

Why not?

Make sure the focus isn't all about her though.

tigershark

New

Post by tigershark » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:56 pm

I know you mention that the school's have done things that aren't keeping with guidelines, but not necessarily illegal. I would definitely tread carefully on this line and try not to go into too much detail regarding schools not adhering to guidelines because I think it has the potential to SOUND like you're trying to interpret the law (regardless if you are or aren't).

Also, try not to get too caught up in the "Why I Want to be a Lawyer" statement. I mean absolutely no offense in saying this, but really anyone can write an essay on "I've seen oppressed people/underprivileged people/people have their rights taken advantage of and now I want to be a lawyer to help them all." While that may be your main motivation, I feel like it can come across as too generic.

Good luck!

Gtown

New

Post by Gtown » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:14 pm

I mean yea I definitely wouldnt get into the specifics of the situation w schools or interpretation of the law or anything. I think itd be enough to say there have been difficulties with the schools bc of her situation.

And i understand what you mean when you say to not be too generic but this isnt just any person, its my sister. So it affects me a great deal and is more significant than just any random person that I know that has had troubles/is underpriviledged.

And if I am not explaining trying to address the "why i want to be a lawyer" question, then what should my PS be driving at?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”