Writing about ONE event/adversity in PS

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )

Writing about ONE event/adversity in PS

Postby senorhosh » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:01 pm

I'm writing about a specific time/adversity in my life.
However, I'm finding it difficult to answer or address many questions and issues that should be included in a PS.

For example, let's say someone is writing about a disease they had that they had to overcome. They can write WHY they want to be lawyer, what they achieved from this experience and how it would help in the future.

However, it doesn't leave room to address many things. How would they write about previous leadership skills, team work, responsibilities they had, etc.? These don't directly relate to the topic, whereas a PS about working in a start-up will be much easier to use.

Any tips? Thanks

Re: Writing about ONE event/adversity in PS

Postby thederangedwang » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:05 pm

you dont have to do all that. Write about that event and how it made you a stronger and better candidate..thats it...dont worry about talking about law school or what job exp you have

Re: Writing about ONE event/adversity in PS

Postby collegebum1989 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:34 pm

Use your resume/CV to represent volunteering, leadership and extracurricular activities.

Use your personal statement to describe something which makes you special. Interests in law school isn't necessary in your PS. Only mention it if an experience really did generate an interest in law school.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”