Voter ID Laws too Partisan?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
adrusso

Voter ID Laws too Partisan?

Postby adrusso » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:01 am

My roommate and I are in the process of creating a website to raise awareness about voter id laws and encourage people to go out and vote. I was thinking about crafting an essay that tells a compelling story regarding the journey and process of creating this website. Voter id laws should not be partisan however I think most of us know one group legislated them and the other does not want them. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

kaiser

Re: Voter ID Laws too Partisan?

Postby kaiser » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:09 am

Yes, that's likely too partisan an issue. Sure, the schools are overwhelmingly liberal so it likely wont rub anyone the wrong way, but I think it is wise to entirely remove politics from personal statements. Whether or not something should be a partisan issue has nothing to do with whether or not it is a partisan issue, and voter ID laws certainly are partisan and create strong opinions on both sides. Stay away from it in a personal statement.

Samara

Postby Samara » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:13 am

It could work as long as you don't discuss the issue and focus completely on yourself. You could talk a little about voter access, but don't start sermonizing about ID laws. This also doesn't seem like a great reason to attend law school. Improving voter access is something you can do (better?) without a law degree. Why do you want to be a lawyer?

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:21 am

This does not seem like a good topic not because it is too political, but rather, I have a hard time seeing how you could make this "personal". Meaning, chances are your essay will discuss the laws and this issue rather than yourself...which is a bad essay.

adrusso

Postby adrusso » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:55 pm

ok thanks for the advice

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”