Advice needed, could I manage two different careers?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Brenda Ayala

Advice needed, could I manage two different careers?

Postby Brenda Ayala » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:04 am

hi I need advice, is it an overly ambitious quest for me to want to finish law school and still pursue film school ?? I want to also be a screenwritter . lol is it possible to manage two completely different careers? :) im optimistic I just want to hear your opinions. thankz

rinkrat19

Re: Advice needed, could I manage two different careers?

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:19 am

No.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:51 am

This is not realistic. If you want to pursue film school, drop out and pursue it.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:24 am

Are you in law school now? Are you interesting in getting a MFA? Could you do both concurrently at the same school without paying extra fees or taking extra time to complete them? If that's the case, I don't think it's overly ambitious to do a joint degree like that. You probably won't become a screenwriter, but you'll enjoy yourself for the next three years, which counts for something and maybe the added happiness will counteract the law school stress.

ChikaBoom

Postby ChikaBoom » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:39 am

That depends entirely on what you want to do with your life. You could go to law school to become a lawyer who writes screenplays in her spare time, but I don't think you'll become a screenwriter that practices law in her spare time, in which case the law school would be an unecessary and expensive endeavor to take on.

Holy run-on-sentence, batman.

Anyway, decide what you want to be when you grow up and come back. :D

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:52 am

cinephile wrote:Are you in law school now? Are you interesting in getting a MFA? Could you do both concurrently at the same school without paying extra fees or taking extra time to complete them? If that's the case, I don't think it's overly ambitious to do a joint degree like that. You probably won't become a screenwriter, but you'll enjoy yourself for the next three years, which counts for something and maybe the added happiness will counteract the law school stress.

OP will probably be as much of a screenwriter on this track as she would be if he'd never gone to law school. In the sense that she'll have finished screenplays that no one ever actually reads.

Something tells me OP is trying to go to Southwestern.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”