I seriously have no idea what I'm supposed to be writing.

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
twenty

I seriously have no idea what I'm supposed to be writing.

Postby twenty » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:35 pm

So far, I've written four "meh" personal statements that seemed forced, and I came to the realization that I really have nothing interesting to write about. Basically, I'm a K-JD that worked 40 hours a week while in college, which drastically limited my extra-curriculars. What are they looking for? High school experiences? "I always knew I wanted to be a lawyer from the time my grandpa was cheated by that mean ol' Mr. Benny."?

I've got nothing. :\

rinkrat19

Re: I seriously have no idea what I'm supposed to be writing.

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:43 pm

Write about what makes you 'you.' If I went and talked to 10 of your closest friends and family about you, what topics would they all bring up? Mine would definitely mention snowboarding and hockey, so I just started pounding out paragraphs about those with no particular direction in mind. Put words on paper (figuratively speaking) without concerning yourself with introductions, themes, conclusions, etc. Eventually you may see how some of the paragraphs/sections connect within a broader theme. The theme may or may not explicitly explain why you want to be a lawyer or argue that you are going to do well in law school--that doesn't matter. Eventually I came up with a simple but serviceable theme of 'passion' and how most people don't love their jobs, but find their passions in hobbies. This was relevant to me because I've been working for almost a decade and schools were bound to wonder why I was quitting a decent job to go to law school.

bobbyh1919

Postby bobbyh1919 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:59 pm

Surely you have a reason you want to go to law school, and surely you didn't wake up one day realizing that was what you wanted to do. Think back on that process and use that as the basis for your PS. I was in a similar position last year but did something along those lines and wrote what most of my advisers said was a really good PS. You don't need to jump off the page with amazing life experiences, which is what I feel like too many applicants try to do. Be honest, write well, show some personality and a sense of humor, and things will fall into place.

kublaikahn

Postby kublaikahn » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:57 am

Write about why you found it necessary to work 40 hours a week while in college. Not everybody makes that choice, and I suspect it was a choice, trade-off, or whatever.

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:01 am

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=184235
all personal statements are the same.
figure out why you want to be a lawyer and then blend in some shit about how you came to that conclusion

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”