Should I write a DS? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
seacow

New

Should I write a DS?

Post by seacow » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:21 pm

I am trying to decide whether to include a DS or just incorporate the subject of the DS in my PS.

The DS will talk about some unique and difficult circumstances I lived under as a child and the person I am today as a result of it. I only want to highlight the diversity aspect insofar as the explicit details suggest, however. In other words, I don't want to say "___ makes me diverse because..." I want to highlight how I put a positive spin on the adverse circumstances and became a better person because of it.

My fear is that this sounds too much like a PS. However, I want to leave the PS for explaining my interest in law.

Of course I could just write the DS to explain how weird my upbringing was and fall a little short on the analysis and lasting effects of it. However, I am then running the risk of appearing slightly unstable as a result of my upbringing. Not to mention, I am also left with the same problem of a somewhat bland PS.

So, should I somehow incorporate the DS into my PS? It would probably make for a better PS but it would also make the PS less streamlined and would not let me discuss both experiences in the detail that I would like.

Thoughts?

MrSparkle

Bronze

Re: Should I write a DS?

Post by MrSparkle » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:23 am

DS or no-DS is all about judgement. If you do have something compelling that shows a different dimension of you, that doesn't overlap, and truly contributes to a better picture of your individuality, then do it. If not, or if someone reading it would think it's a waste of space, then don't.

From what you said, I'd say do it. But don't do it if it'll leave your PS as bland. Remember, on a PS you don't even need to say "why law" unless the school explicitly asks.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”