T14 Hopeful

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )

Standard 10 Point Scale

33%
No votes
33%
No votes
No votes
No votes
33%
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 3

thewheel12

T14 Hopeful

Postby thewheel12 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:23 pm

Edit: rewrite
Last edited by thewheel12 on Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bobbyh1919

Re: T14 Hopeful

Postby bobbyh1919 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:34 pm

Couple of quick points:

- You need to focus a bit more on how your experiences have led you to law school. Your main connection was something like "I'm trying to keep moving forward and separate myself from my old life, and it sounds fun and I can make money." Take out the part about benefiting financially, and talk about why you're choosing law school, because grad school/business school/med school seemingly fit this bill as well.

-Drop the long quote. It's just too long considering you'll have to cut the whole thing to about 2 pages for most schools.

-In general you're a good writer and seem to have a compelling story to tell. Just make it clearer why you're choosing to tell it to law schools.

thewheel12

Postby thewheel12 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:25 pm

bobbyh1919 wrote:Couple of quick points:

- You need to focus a bit more on how your experiences have led you to law school. Your main connection was something like "I'm trying to keep moving forward and separate myself from my old life, and it sounds fun and I can make money." Take out the part about benefiting financially, and talk about why you're choosing law school, because grad school/business school/med school seemingly fit this bill as well.

-Drop the long quote. It's just too long considering you'll have to cut the whole thing to about 2 pages for most schools.

-In general you're a good writer and seem to have a compelling story to tell. Just make it clearer why you're choosing to tell it to law schools.

Thanks for the advice. I need to figure out how I'm going to do that. It really is lacking the "why law school?" element. And congratulations on your cycle. It looks like you did quite well.

EDIT - It fits perfectly on 2 pgs (11pt, Times, 1" margins) btw

bobbyh1919

Postby bobbyh1919 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:08 am

thewheel12 wrote:
bobbyh1919 wrote:Couple of quick points:

Thanks for the advice. I need to figure out how I'm going to do that. It really is lacking the "why law school?" element. And congratulations on your cycle. It looks like you did quite well.

EDIT - It fits perfectly on 2 pgs (11pt, Times, 1" margins) btw

Oh alright, I would still say drop it and use some of that space to talk more about law school.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”