Tailoring PS to Schools

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
az21833

Tailoring PS to Schools

Postby az21833 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:14 pm

How important is it to tailor your personal statement to specific schools (i.e. to mention something unique about the school in your PS). Is this necessary? It just does not seem to fit well with the rest of my story.

Further, if you elect not to, is it better to throw in some mention of the school in which any school would work (ie as a student at ____, I will, etc.) or just not to mention at all.

JCFindley

Re: Tailoring PS to Schools

Postby JCFindley » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:21 pm

az21833 wrote:How important is it to tailor your personal statement to specific schools (i.e. to mention something unique about the school in your PS). Is this necessary? It just does not seem to fit well with the rest of my story.

Further, if you elect not to, is it better to throw in some mention of the school in which any school would work (ie as a student at ____, I will, etc.) or just not to mention at all.

Generally it is not important at all but some schools like "Why X" statements.

It could also be important if you are wanting to attend a school well below your numbers for personal reasons. Say you have a 3.9/178 but are from Alabama and your mother is sick and needs you close by. Bama would be a great choice but might end up waitlisiting you for yield protection. In a situation like that you would want to make it clear WHY that school is in fact your top choice.

CanadianWolf

Re: Tailoring PS to Schools

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:56 pm

Probably more important for non-top-14 law schools.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”