The Why X Appendix Thread

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
bernaldiaz

The Why X Appendix Thread

Postby bernaldiaz » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:58 pm

I've noticed that there is far more guidance on TLS for personal statements than Why X essays (probably for good reason, but anyways). I'm going to start up really digging into writing my Why X essays this week, and thought that this thread might be a good idea. My thought is that as people who are writing Why X essays are finding information about various schools, they can post the links and maybe a sentence description here. So for any given school we might have the school title- and then underneath a link to and brief description of any clinics, specialty programs, focuses, or anything that people dig up. Also, links to the threads where current students take questions might be helpful. Even better, if current students were willing to chip in and tell us what they have loved about their school (clinics, strength of faculty, programs, etc.) that would be even better.

As I start working on mine this week (I think I'm going to write ones for Chicago, Duke, and Penn), I'll start posting links and stuff (if people are receptive to this idea). If other people start posting things, I'll edit it all into this original post, so it can be a concise resource for this cycle and cycles to come. Just an idea, anyways.

ColeWorld

Re: The Why X Appendix Thread

Postby ColeWorld » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:04 pm

This is a great idea. Chicago gives a little advice on "Why Chicago" essays at the bottom of this page:
http://www.law.uchicago.edu/node/1451

If there are genuine and informed reasons why you are particularly interested in studying law at Chicago, you are welcome to discuss them in an additional essay. Please note that these essays are only helpful if they are truly genuine and too many supplemental materials can detract from the clear and concise picture you are trying to give the Committee.

BuckeyeGirl

Postby BuckeyeGirl » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:58 pm

This is relevant to my interests. Additionally, what would people's thoughts be on reworking LOCI from a previous cycle? Obviously you couldn't use them directly, but is there compelling reason to not use them as a starting point for a Why X?

GirlStop

Postby GirlStop » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:38 pm

I read in other threads that a Why X essay is not necessary for t14s unless there is an especially important reason? Any thoughts?

No13baby

Postby No13baby » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:11 pm

GirlStop wrote:I read in other threads that a Why X essay is not necessary for t14s unless there is an especially important reason? Any thoughts?

This really isn't true. I know Why Xs are very highly regarded at Michigan, UVA (if applying RD), Penn, and Northwestern, at least.

GirlStop

Postby GirlStop » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:13 pm

Thanks !

Just

Postby Just » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:50 pm

Any resources on tls that we can find sample why essays?

jychun412

Postby jychun412 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:01 am

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”