Mentioning prior admissions cycles in PS

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
User avatar
cloudhidden
Posts: 194
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:29 am

Mentioning prior admissions cycles in PS

Postby cloudhidden » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:06 pm

I am an October retaker who applied to many schools last year. I want to write about my experiences visiting various law schools, and how it confirmed my desire to not only attend law dchool, but to attend the best school possible. For about a month I made visits to both coasts, observed many classes and met many people. I will have taken three years between undergrad and law school and I want to talk about how my experiences outside of school have shaped me.

I have less than stellar work experience but I want to elaborate on the challenges I had in sustaining myself and about the awareness I have for different workers in this economy. However, the PS would orbit around my experience as an applicant and my determination to reach a higher eschelon of schools. Ideally this statement could also explain my LSAT scores and expound upon my softs.

I am concerned that I might be perceived as indecisive or even a threat to yield protection. Does anyone have any ideas about how to successfuly work the reapplying angle into a PS without inviting such reservations? I must have spent hundreds of hours bearing out the application process last year only to postpone my plans. It's that decicision and the difficulty and insight inherent within it that I want to focus on.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. FYI I intensive to mostly apply to new schools next year and most of this is contingent upon an improvement on the LSAT.

thederangedwang
Posts: 1124
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:44 pm

Re: Mentioning prior admissions cycles in PS

Postby thederangedwang » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:41 pm

99% of all topics can work depending on how you approach the subject and how strong the writing is. I believe this falls into the other 1%.

It seems like, in my opinion, a horrible idea to write about visiting law schools in your personal statement. I strongly urge you to not do this

User avatar
top30man
Posts: 1224
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:11 pm

Re: Mentioning prior admissions cycles in PS

Postby top30man » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:44 pm

thederangedwang wrote:99% of all topics can work depending on how you approach the subject and how strong the writing is. I believe this falls into the other 1%.

It seems like, in my opinion, a horrible idea to write about visiting law schools in your personal statement. I strongly urge you to not do this

I wouldn't do this either.
Eta: but I would be interested to see how you spin it. Since its not a why x statement it will be hard to show why the new batch of school is the right fit without being generic.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Mentioning prior admissions cycles in PS

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:47 pm

You need to write a draft before seeking meaningful critiques.

thederangedwang
Posts: 1124
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:44 pm

Re: Mentioning prior admissions cycles in PS

Postby thederangedwang » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:51 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:You need to write a draft before seeking meaningful critiques.

gotta disagree, i dont see how you could possibly write a good statement..if you're simply shooting for a generic, average, cliche statement..then thats another story

User avatar
cloudhidden
Posts: 194
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:29 am

Re: Mentioning prior admissions cycles in PS

Postby cloudhidden » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:00 pm

Would an exception exist in the case that a visit to a school that I didn't apply to in the same region as one that I did helped sway my decision and now I am applying to said school? I realize that will only work for the
few schools that that happened. I want to talk about my experiences after undergrad and last application cycle had an enormous impact on me and my life goals so I thought it would be a shame not to at least mention it and how my life has converged on this decision. I don't want to dwell on it but I defenitely would like to use it as a springboard. Should I not even mention then? As per explaining it, I would tie it into my desire to maximize opportunities and surround myself with the best intellectual talent and so forth.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Mentioning prior admissions cycles in PS

Postby IAFG » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:03 pm

Oh hell no.

Here's my biggest problem with this PS: it makes it sound like you're not thinking past admissions and the process of attending law school. It's not about your place in the world or your plans for your career, but is solely focused on admission and attendance.

But, Dean Z might like it.

thederangedwang
Posts: 1124
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:44 pm

Re: Mentioning prior admissions cycles in PS

Postby thederangedwang » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:06 pm

IAFG wrote:Oh hell no.

Here's my biggest problem with this PS: it makes it sound like you're not thinking past admissions and the process of attending law school. It's not about your place in the world or your plans for your career, but is solely focused on admission and attendance.

But, Dean Z might like it.

to add onto that...it shows nothing about you. A personal statement is personal..its not a statement of purpose...i dont see how you can spin it into something even remotely memorable...im not saying itll be a bad statement..im just saying theres a higher chance it will be one. And on top of that, i dont see any potential for such a topic of becoming a good statement..so for me..this topic is all risk with no possibility of reward

User avatar
cloudhidden
Posts: 194
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:29 am

Re: Mentioning prior admissions cycles in PS

Postby cloudhidden » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:16 pm

I understand the concern about it sounding like a modified "why law school statment," and I realize that I would not want the decision to wait another application cycle to consume the PS. However, most statements that I read at least tie into the individuals decisionto attend law school. I believe that I can use my own situation as a springboard for the statement. By that I mean I would discuss the things about myself that led me to believe that I could be capable of more. I would most likely relate this to an anecdote to expresses determination and/or good judgement. I could talk about the blue collar job I had at 5 in the morning throughout last year's cycle. However, I only worked there half a year before I left to make my school visits. I am trying to turn my scattered WE and time away from school into a strength, but it doesn't seem like I could really talk about that without mentioning that law school has been in the back of my mind for those three years, and that the downtime has allowed me to reevaluate my plans. My question then is about how to handle that situation in a PS without inviting concerns about indecisiveness or yield protection. And for those schools that I visited but didn't apply to last year, and most likely will this upcoming year, I still believe this can help cover a "Why X."




Return to “Law School Personal Statements”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.