I'm a boring person.

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
ESCpurple

I'm a boring person.

Postby ESCpurple » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:05 pm

Well, that's not entirely true. But since leaving high school I haven't done a whole lot in terms of extracurriculars. While in high school though I was active in a number of different things which demonstrated my ability to be proactive and pursue my interests, whilst working as part of a team or individually.

Should I integrate my high school extracurriculars into my PS? If so, how many? or does it make it abberantly obvious that I haven't done a lot since then? :?:

EDIT: I should probably list what I did...

I worked overseas in a microbiology lab.

Entered into a school team for a Youth Parliament event.

Highschool debating :|

attractive_NUisance

Re: I'm a boring person.

Postby attractive_NUisance » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:10 pm

Better to put no extracurriculars than to put stuff from high school. That does not belong on a professional resume. Why don't you volunteer somewhere for a couple of days and put that on there?

GirlStop

Postby GirlStop » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:22 pm

attractive_NUisance wrote:Better to put no extracurriculars than to put stuff from high school. That does not belong on a professional resume. Why don't you volunteer somewhere for a couple of days and put that on there?

:shock: :roll:

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:22 pm

High school activities usually are not appropriate for inclusion on one's law school applications. Might be relevant, however, to show continued committment to a particular cause such as prison reform/defendant's rights or environmental activism.

attractive_NUisance

Postby attractive_NUisance » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:37 pm

To give context to my previous comment: I am assuming that OP has done nothing else for extracurriculars in college or law school and am assuming that OP is getting his or her resume ready for fall recruiting that starts in about a month. A few days is probably the minimum amount of time to demonstrate some commitment to a volunteer group in a short period of time and I do think that OP should continue to donate time to that volunteer group after fall recruiting.

ESCpurple

Postby ESCpurple » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:41 pm

attractive_NUisance wrote:To give context to my previous comment: I am assuming that OP has done nothing else for extracurriculars in college or law school and am assuming that OP is getting his or her resume ready for fall recruiting that starts in about a month. A few days is probably the minimum amount of time to demonstrate some commitment to a volunteer group in a short period of time and I do think that OP should continue to donate time to that volunteer group after fall recruiting.

Oh gawd, should have mentioned i'm from Australia, we don't submit resume's with our application. Just GPA, LSAT, and the PS. And it's due in a few days, I've worked a couple of drafts and am having trouble deciding which stuff I should include and exclude.

ESCpurple

Postby ESCpurple » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:42 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:High school activities usually are not appropriate for inclusion on one's law school applications. Might be relevant, however, to show continued committment to a particular cause such as prison reform/defendant's rights or environmental activism.

I'll be honest, at first glance there is no particular commonality between any of my extracurriculars in terms of substantive issues. It seems like the resume of a schizophrenic. But the one thing they do have in common, which I still engage in, is the urge to do new things and see where it takes me. During college I regularly attended public talks hosted by the school i'm applying to (which is coincidentally my undergraduate institution). These talks would be hosted by prominent academics on issues of law, such as 'what it was like working in the ICC' or 'why you should study law in China'.

Systematic1

Postby Systematic1 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:51 pm

attractive_NUisance wrote:Why don't you volunteer somewhere for a couple of days and put that on there?

Credited.

Elston Gunn

Postby Elston Gunn » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:11 pm

Don't talk about your high school self in your PS.

Why do you want to be a lawyer? Why would you be a good one? What experiences have you had that demonstrate these things? You may not have a ton of extra curriculars, but hopefully you can weave together a plausible story out of the experiences you've had.

If not, well, it probably won't matter anyway. Honestly, the most important thing in your PS is not to come off like an insufferable douche or to make big typos.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”