Brainstorming Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )

How should I get brainstorming help?

TLS Users
67%
Admissions Consultant
33%

Total votes: 6

honeybadger12

Bronze

Brainstorming

Post by honeybadger12 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:48 pm

For most things as important as this PS, I'd get help from an expert. However, TLS users have suggested that simply posting to TLS is more helpful than using an admissions consultant (and free). But it seems maybe TLS is more helpful for critiquing a rough draft than for brainstorming a topic. Any thoughts?

SnapSnapSnap

New

Re: Brainstorming

Post by SnapSnapSnap » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:38 pm

giuseppes12 wrote:For most things as important as this PS, I'd get help from an expert. However, TLS users have suggested that simply posting to TLS is more helpful than using an admissions consultant (and free). But it seems maybe TLS is more helpful for critiquing a rough draft than for brainstorming a topic. Any thoughts?
If you can't come up with ANYthing on your own...

TLS:
+ Lots of great advice, good sense of what admissions look for
+ Variety of opinions
+ Full of overachievers who probably had decent PS's themselves
- People here may not be as "nice" as you'd like. Even if feedback is what you need to hear, if you're at all sensitive to criticism, probably not a good idea.
- Bunch of different (& probably conflicting) opinions at once, rather than someone guiding you steadily thru the process (the fact that you posted this Q makes me guess that's what you need)

Admissions Consultant:
+ Personalized attention often yields better results
+ Doesn't troll
- Not free (granted, PS is important)
- Sounds like a scam artist. What are their qualifications?? (rhetorical Q)

thederangedwang

Silver

Post by thederangedwang » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:49 pm

it completely depends on how skilled a writer you are..if you are at least decent at writing..just use tls...if you suck however, nobody on tls is gonna be moivated enough to give you the help you need, so you should prob get professional help.

Bottom line, good writer, tls is fine, bad writer, get help

cutecarmel

Silver

Post by cutecarmel » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:31 pm

Do you have a pre-law advisor? Mine had worked in admissions offices before and helped me a lot with mine. I didn't post my PS on TLS and I didn't pay anyone to read it and I did fine.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”