Interest in law school vs. interesting topic

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
collegebum1989

Interest in law school vs. interesting topic

Postby collegebum1989 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:13 pm

My dilemma: the best experiences I've had in my life are not related to my interests in a law career. However, I am also 2 years out of school with a graduate degree in an unrelated field.

Most people say that the interesting personal statement are for people still in college, and that older applicants should include interests in law school in their personal statement.

Thoughts?

2012JayDee

Re: Interest in law school vs. interesting topic

Postby 2012JayDee » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:50 pm

You probably want to avoid just talking about a really amazing experience you had at some point in life if it doesn't somehow relate back in some way to why you're writing about on a law school application.
There's no need to talk about the time you were 7 and visited a courthouse and ever since then....no!

But if your story has absolutely nothing to do with how you came to apply to X school or law school in general then it's probably not the kind of story that will work. But there's nothing wrong with the story being about 90% just a personal anecdotal story, just try and make that 10% be relevant or at least give insight as to why you're a good addition to the incoming class.

collegebum1989

Postby collegebum1989 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:40 pm

Right now my topics are below:

1. Elaborating on my research experiences in medicine as an undergrad and graduate student and how my engineering background can supplement a career in patent law

2. Applying to and being awarded a prestigious international engineering research fellowship for next year that only 30 ppl in my field receive every year. The country I'll be working in is a developing nation and it is also the first time for the fellowship and also my country of origin (I grew up in the US).

the first is very well fitted to my career goals, whereas the later is just an amazing experience with a stronger impact.

cutecarmel

Postby cutecarmel » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:42 pm

collegebum1989 wrote:Right now my topics are below:

1. Elaborating on my research experiences in medicine as an undergrad and graduate student and how my engineering background can supplement a career in patent law

2. Applying to and being awarded a prestigious international engineering research fellowship for next year that only 30 ppl in my field receive every year. The country I'll be working in is a developing nation and it is also the first time for the fellowship and also my country of origin (I grew up in the US).

the first is very well fitted to my career goals, whereas the later is just an amazing experience with a stronger impact.

My PS was both about an experience unrelated to law school and a why I want to go to law school, but I managed to weave the two together and it made a pretty good statement (at the very least enough to get me into schools with scholarships), so I would suggest you try to do both.

I think that the second option could be relevant to law if you intend to practice patent law. And its better because it seems like you are more passionate about it.
So you will be doing this fellowship while you are applying to law school? I had a similar experience. I wrote a basic PS with my expectations for the experience and once I was about a month or so in, my PS really began to come into shape.

So I definitely suggest that you go with the second option. I feel that you could make a strong paper from this, just try to focus on your personal strengths.

Good luck!

collegebum1989

Postby collegebum1989 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:33 pm

Yeah, doing the fellowship next year during my application cycle. I start in September and travel abroad in December, so I'd be a month or so in when i submit my apps. Just wanted to get a head start lol.

I got a bunch of mixed reviews on the topics since I am will be 2 years out of college by the time I enter law school. I also have a masters, so my adviser suggested that my PS be tailored towards my career interests since I am an older applicant.

Another idea I was thinking was to take topic two and elaborate on it in a DS since the experience relates to my culture.

ix88

Postby ix88 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:19 am

You have time right? Maybe you should write 2 personal statements, one of each of those potential topics. Then you can pick the one that comes out better.

collegebum1989

Postby collegebum1989 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:25 am

I've got conflicting advice from different people about what to write...so if I write about an amazing experience that will really show how different I am from other applicants, but if I write on patent law and science, it fits naturally into my aspirations for law school.

The problem is...the science experiences for the patent law are really tough to write about since most people outside of science aren't interested by it unless they are familiar with it. The biggest critique I've been getting on my patent law/science PS is that it's too "science-y" and comes off as boring.

Suggestions?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:01 pm

Don't write a boring PS. How you write is usually more important than what you write about. Write using crisp, clear sentences in an organized manner while offering insights into your development, experiences and/or goals.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”