Risky Risky PS Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Truffle_Shuffle

New

Risky Risky PS

Post by Truffle_Shuffle » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:09 am

So I have a few risky ideas.

3. ....
Last edited by Truffle_Shuffle on Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Re: Risky Risky PS

Post by Mal Reynolds » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:16 am

Didn't even have to read to say don't do any of them. If you have to ask about a risky PS don't write it.

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:23 am

I don't think these are all that risky. I think that by process of elimination, you should do number 1. Number 2 is well worn territory. Some large portion of candidates switched majors and some large portion of them believe that the switch was some epiphony. I think that 3 is out because "leadership position in my sorority" just doesn't have much gravitas, no matter how well written. If you do the first, just go light on any implication that mental illness is somehow fake, just in case an adcomm has family experience with mental illness. However, bringing up the idea in a balanced way, briefly, could be a perfectly reasonable way to spice up the PS. Another reason to go light on the theory stuff is that most PSs that mention some specific philosophy are insuffreable.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:48 am

Do the one where a sorority sister drove drunk and injured someone. Immediately sets a good tone for the rest of your application.

cutecarmel

Silver

Post by cutecarmel » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:23 pm

Please please PLEASE stay away from #1, especially for your reach schools. Its likely that you are symptom free because you never had ADD or bipolar disorder to begin with. ADD is far too over-diagnosed, but that's an argument for a different day.
Also the "mental disorders are a conspiracy" is more likely to hurt than help you.

I'm not fond of #2 either, unless you can give a really good reason for the huge switch from architecture to law.

#3 could be good if you talked about the girl having to take responsibility for her actions. If your job as risk manager was to try and make her actions ok, this is a bad idea.

#4. I guess this sounds ok, but you didn't really go into details, so I'm not sure.

In general, I'm not a fan of any of these. I would focus on something that shows you in a more positive light.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

abc12345675

Bronze

Post by abc12345675 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:27 pm

kwais wrote:I don't think these are all that risky. I think that by process of elimination, you should do number 1. Number 2 is well worn territory. Some large portion of candidates switched majors and some large portion of them believe that the switch was some epiphony. I think that 3 is out because "leadership position in my sorority" just doesn't have much gravitas, no matter how well written. If you do the first, just go light on any implication that mental illness is somehow fake, just in case an adcomm has family experience with mental illness. However, bringing up the idea in a balanced way, briefly, could be a perfectly reasonable way to spice up the PS. Another reason to go light on the theory stuff is that most PSs that mention some specific philosophy are insuffreable.

Good God do I disagree. I would NEVER do number 1.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:27 pm

Horrible, terrible topics--unless you want to sabotage your applications. In my opinion, these topics demonstrate a lack of common sense & a disconnect with reality.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:31 pm

Do not talk about mental illness in an app. There are too many ways for this to go wrong.
Might as well talk about abortions and kiddie fiddling priests

abc12345675

Bronze

Post by abc12345675 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:34 pm

dingbat wrote:Do not talk about mental illness in an app. There are too many ways for this to go wrong.
This.

I don't mean this offensively, but if I read your 1st essay you'd come across extremely unstable to me. And frankly, I think mental illness is something taken into consideration by the bar. I wouldn't mess with it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cutecarmel

Silver

Post by cutecarmel » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:41 pm

abc12345675 wrote:
dingbat wrote:Do not talk about mental illness in an app. There are too many ways for this to go wrong.
This.

I don't mean this offensively, but if I read your 1st essay you'd come across extremely unstable to me. And frankly, I think mental illness is something taken into consideration by the bar. I wouldn't mess with it.
+1

Talking about mental illness in a PS is a really REALLY bad idea. I know you really like the idea, but it will almost definitely hurt you more than it will help you.

Truffle_Shuffle

New

Post by Truffle_Shuffle » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:18 pm

cutecarmel wrote:
abc12345675 wrote:
This.

+1

Talking about mental illness in a PS is a really REALLY bad idea. I know you really like the idea, but it will almost definitely hurt you more than it will help you.
I hadn't considered the whole Bar thing. That's extremely valid.
Thanks for all your comments! I think I knew that #1 was a bad idea, I just needed someone to warn me that I sounded unstable.

abc12345675

Bronze

Post by abc12345675 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:21 pm

Truffle_Shuffle wrote:
cutecarmel wrote:
abc12345675 wrote:
This.

+1

I hadn't considered the whole Bar thing. That's extremely valid.
Thanks for all your comments! I think I knew that #1 was a bad idea, I just needed someone to warn me that I sounded unstable.
And again, I REALLY didn't mean that offensively. I just couldn't think of a better way to say it.

Truffle_Shuffle

New

Post by Truffle_Shuffle » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:34 pm

Don't worry! I didn't take offense. I was expecting responses that were a lot more caustic than these. This was genuinely helpful. Thanks

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kipasanginrusak

New

Post by kipasanginrusak » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:13 pm

i cant see anything..what actually you discuss here, some one give me a clue :D i'm sure that i already miss all the juicy..but here actually you can find another juicy come take a peek : midtown mental health Indianapolis (LinkRemoved)
Last edited by kipasanginrusak on Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

cutecarmel

Silver

Post by cutecarmel » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:43 pm

kipasanginrusak wrote:i cant see anything..what actually you discuss here, some one give me a clue :D
Dude it was soooo juicy! You missed out! :lol:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”