Is this wise for personal statement?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
basketball law guy

New
Posts: 84
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:13 pm

Is this wise for personal statement?

Postby basketball law guy » Thu May 03, 2012 12:22 pm

I am finishing my 3rd year UG. I am taking the LSAT in October. I want to work on my personal statement, applications, Why? essays, etc. this summer. I will start basketball workouts in September and my Sep-Dec will be hell with school, basketball, applications, studying for the LSAT and the LSAT. My current GPA is 3.95. I will spend my summer studying for the LSAT, working 12-20 hours per week and my basketball workouts.

My question- should I use basketball as a theme in my personal statement? It is a part of who I am and it has paid for college. My strength has been time management- balancing the basketball requirements and school. Or do you think this would be a little goofy and maybe just stick to the basics. Stand out and take a risk or maybe blend in and sprinkle in some references? I have not started any drafts but just curious what you would think? I am unsure as to what law schools I will be applying. I was just thinking about Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa but some of my instructors want me to stretch it to the limit. I know the LSAT will determine where I apply. Thanks for any suggestions and guidance. All criticism welcome.

User avatar
sunynp

Gold
Posts: 1881
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 2:06 pm

Re: Is this wise for personal statement?

Postby sunynp » Thu May 03, 2012 12:31 pm

basketball law guy wrote:I am finishing my 3rd year UG. I am taking the LSAT in October. I want to work on my personal statement, applications, Why? essays, etc. this summer. I will start basketball workouts in September and my Sep-Dec will be hell with school, basketball, applications, studying for the LSAT and the LSAT. My current GPA is 3.95. I will spend my summer studying for the LSAT, working 12-20 hours per week and my basketball workouts.

My question- should I use basketball as a theme in my personal statement? It is a part of who I am and it has paid for college. My strength has been time management- balancing the basketball requirements and school. Or do you think this would be a little goofy and maybe just stick to the basics. Stand out and take a risk or maybe blend in and sprinkle in some references? I have not started any drafts but just curious what you would think? I am unsure as to what law schools I will be applying. I was just thinking about Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa but some of my instructors want me to stretch it to the limit. I know the LSAT will determine where I apply. Thanks for any suggestions and guidance. All criticism welcome.


Don't worry about your personal statement, with your GPA if you kill the LSAT -and I mean really study - you can use the self-study resources here instead of paying for a whole course, you will have options beyond your dreams right now.

I think that basketball would be fine, but you can always write a draft and post it here for comments as well.

But-- STUDY FOR THE LSAT!!!

User avatar
rinkrat19

Diamond
Posts: 13923
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Is this wise for personal statement?

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu May 03, 2012 12:37 pm

Sports are a really popular topic for a PS. Your PS should absolutely NOT just be information the adcomm can get off your resume; it should be much more personal than that. (Hence calling it a "personal statement.")

And while a PS shouldn't leave the adcomms wondering "so, why IS this guy going to law school?' it doesn't have to explicitly spell out 'why law school.' You can illustrate your interest in/qualifications for law school implicitly, through the story you are telling them about yourself as a person.

bmore

Bronze
Posts: 302
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Is this wise for personal statement?

Postby bmore » Thu May 03, 2012 12:44 pm

While sports may be a popular personal statement, it appears you are a scholarship athlete so that makes your story a little different. I think talking about yourself and something you know makes the statement personal. Just don't use a lot of cliches. Also I am not sure what you mean by stand out and take a risk?

And with your GPA aim for a good LSAT and cross all those schools off your list.

PolySuyGuy

Bronze
Posts: 441
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:59 pm

Re: Is this wise for personal statement?

Postby PolySuyGuy » Thu May 03, 2012 12:46 pm

basketball law guy wrote: My question- should I use basketball as a theme in my personal statement?



It would make it a slam dunk.

User avatar
Systematic1

Bronze
Posts: 236
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:14 pm

Re: Is this wise for personal statement?

Postby Systematic1 » Thu May 03, 2012 12:47 pm

PolySuyGuy wrote:
basketball law guy wrote: My question- should I use basketball as a theme in my personal statement?



It would make it a slam dunk.

-1

User avatar
TommyK

Silver
Posts: 1309
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:08 pm

Re: Is this wise for personal statement?

Postby TommyK » Thu May 03, 2012 12:53 pm

PolySuyGuy wrote:
basketball law guy wrote: My question- should I use basketball as a theme in my personal statement?



It would make it a slam dunk.

YEEEAAAAAAAHHHHHH!
Image

basketball law guy

New
Posts: 84
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:13 pm

Re: Is this wise for personal statement?

Postby basketball law guy » Thu May 03, 2012 12:56 pm

Thanks for all the quick replies and all make sense. What I meant by "Stand out and take a risk" was going into this basketball theme. It sounds like I should use this to my advantage when the time comes to write my personal statement BUT study for the LSAT first.

User avatar
rinkrat19

Diamond
Posts: 13923
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Is this wise for personal statement?

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu May 03, 2012 1:00 pm

basketball law guy wrote:Thanks for all the quick replies and all make sense. What I meant by "Stand out and take a risk" was going into this basketball theme. It sounds like I should use this to my advantage when the time comes to write my personal statement BUT study for the LSAT first.
The thing is, it's not standing out or taking a risk; it's actually probably the safer route.

Bad PS:
I would make a good law student because I possess this list of positive attributes. Now I will briefly describe these attributes and my qualificiations, most of which are listed on my resume.

Good PS:
This is me; I am interesting. This is something that happened to me, this is what I learned/how I dealt/how I felt, showing attribute X, implying I would succeed at law school.

But yes, study for the LSAT first. The torturous month where you're waiting for your LSAT score is a great time to write your PS.
Last edited by rinkrat19 on Thu May 03, 2012 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
sunynp

Gold
Posts: 1881
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 2:06 pm

Re: Is this wise for personal statement?

Postby sunynp » Thu May 03, 2012 1:01 pm

basketball law guy wrote:Thanks for all the quick replies and all make sense. What I meant by "Stand out and take a risk" was going into this basketball theme. It sounds like I should use this to my advantage when the time comes to write my personal statement BUT study for the LSAT first.

The LSAT can open up a whole world for you. It is a learnable test and you should aim high. You have time to work on your PS. Like I said, people here will read it for you and give you suggestions, but your numbers are the primary concern.



Return to “Law School Personal Statements�

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.