Lots to say, but need to focus! Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
SciDoc

New

Lots to say, but need to focus!

Post by SciDoc » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:35 pm

Thanks in advance for any input or direction that you can offer for me :)

I find myself thinking about a lot of things that I want to say in PS, but I am having a hard time deciding what would be appropriate subject matter. My thoughts are that since it is called a Personal statement, you write something that comes from within and not something too formulaic. My problem is that there are 3 subjects that I want to talk about and alert the Adcomms too, but fitting this all into a single 2 page personal statement is going to be incredibly difficult.

So here are the basic subjects:

1. Issues of identity:

2. Career choices:

3. Overcoming adversity:

edited to remove *personal info*
Last edited by SciDoc on Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

JCFindley

Silver

Re: Lots to say, but need to focus!

Post by JCFindley » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:09 pm

How about splitting the subjects up.

Perhaps make the personal statement about #2 then use the other subjects as a diversity statement.....

JC

SciDoc

New

Post by SciDoc » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:24 pm

JCFindley wrote:How about splitting the subjects up.

Perhaps make the personal statement about #2 then use the other subjects as a diversity statement.....

JC
Thank you! I knew there was such a thing as a diversity statement, but somehow I believed it was only for URM's (!?!?). Given that, I think you are right on the money...#2 for my PS and the combo of 1 & 3 for the diversity statement. Do you know if there is a list somewhere of all the schools that accept additional essays that could be classified as a diversity statement?

TY!

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:48 am

SciDoc wrote:
JCFindley wrote:How about splitting the subjects up.

JC
Thank you! I knew there was such a thing as a diversity statement, but somehow I believed it was only for URM's (!?!?). Given that, I think you are right on the money...#2 for my PS and the combo of 1 & 3 for the diversity statement. Do you know if there is a list somewhere of all the schools that accept additional essays that could be classified as a diversity statement?

TY!
I don't have an answer to that but all the ones I have looked at applying to do, so my guess is most of them will....

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”