Lots to say, but need to focus!

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
SciDoc

New

Lots to say, but need to focus!

Postby SciDoc » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:35 pm

Thanks in advance for any input or direction that you can offer for me :)

I find myself thinking about a lot of things that I want to say in PS, but I am having a hard time deciding what would be appropriate subject matter. My thoughts are that since it is called a Personal statement, you write something that comes from within and not something too formulaic. My problem is that there are 3 subjects that I want to talk about and alert the Adcomms too, but fitting this all into a single 2 page personal statement is going to be incredibly difficult.

So here are the basic subjects:

1. Issues of identity:

2. Career choices:

3. Overcoming adversity:

edited to remove *personal info*
Last edited by SciDoc on Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

JCFindley

Silver

Re: Lots to say, but need to focus!

Postby JCFindley » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:09 pm

How about splitting the subjects up.

Perhaps make the personal statement about #2 then use the other subjects as a diversity statement.....

JC

SciDoc

New

Postby SciDoc » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:24 pm

JCFindley wrote:How about splitting the subjects up.

Perhaps make the personal statement about #2 then use the other subjects as a diversity statement.....

JC

Thank you! I knew there was such a thing as a diversity statement, but somehow I believed it was only for URM's (!?!?). Given that, I think you are right on the money...#2 for my PS and the combo of 1 & 3 for the diversity statement. Do you know if there is a list somewhere of all the schools that accept additional essays that could be classified as a diversity statement?

TY!

JCFindley

Silver

Postby JCFindley » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:48 am

SciDoc wrote:
JCFindley wrote:How about splitting the subjects up.

JC

Thank you! I knew there was such a thing as a diversity statement, but somehow I believed it was only for URM's (!?!?). Given that, I think you are right on the money...#2 for my PS and the combo of 1 & 3 for the diversity statement. Do you know if there is a list somewhere of all the schools that accept additional essays that could be classified as a diversity statement?

TY!

I don't have an answer to that but all the ones I have looked at applying to do, so my guess is most of them will....

Return to “Law School Personal Statements�