In need of Advice: How to to deal with a University Sanction

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
AK_Ambition

In need of Advice: How to to deal with a University Sanction

Postby AK_Ambition » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:05 am

So I am currently studying for the June LSAT and looking to be admitted by Fall of 2013. I was an Econ/Political science major @ a University in my home state (think biggest state in the union). I initially did well in school, and was on track to have a decent GPA. I was actively involved with a Community service fraternity and was on the dean's list three consecutive semesters (last time being my junior year, 3.83 semester GPA while taking 6 classes).

Unfortunately, my senior year "the chickens came home to roost" and my involvement with "substance" distribution caught up to me. For the first semester of of my Sr. year I was tasked with having to deal with potential felony convictions (fortunately the criminal record was avoided). The second semester I was faced with having deal with the "piling on" of the University, and their attempt to issue me Major Sanctions --suspension and/or expulsion-- these issues had an effect on my academic performance. I wound fessing up to the accusations made by the University and that led to me being suspended for 2 years (to be lifted come fall of 2013).

Fortunately, the process to finalize my suspension was slow enough that I was able to actually graduate with my BA prior to actually being suspended (by a couple days ha).I wound up receiving two consecutive semesters of 2.83 my Sr. year, and that led to my overall GPA falling to 3.10. I am definitely going to explain this incident in an addendum with my GPA (to explain the lower GPA), but I wanted to get some advice on whether or not I should also use this as a focus in my personal statement. I guess it was definitely a learning experience, but I am unsure if I should explain it any further than my addendum or truly embrace it and make it "a part of me". I am kind of concerned that dwelling on it may make it more "serious" than it already is. Within the two year suspension I am serving and Americorps Vista service term.

Any thoughts on this situation? Advice regarding dealing with school sanctions? Questions comments?

Jsa725

Re: In need of Advice: How to to deal with a University Sanction

Postby Jsa725 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:55 am

Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri May 31, 2013 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

AK_Ambition

Postby AK_Ambition » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:09 am

Jsa725 wrote:Make the PS positive and sell your strengths... Use the sanction essay info for an addendum.

Articulate why you are a good candidate for law school in the PS

Thanks, that was my first thought. I guess I was concerned that maybe there needed to be further explanation of a sanction, if it was considered "serious". The above information is very much what I will being saying in my addendum with my transcript.

wiglaf1228

Postby wiglaf1228 » Fri May 04, 2012 8:15 am

This is a disaster. A friend of mine with an expunged arrest for possession - not even distribution - and no university sanctions was rejected at all the T1's he applied to, despite having a 169 LSAT and a 3.95 GPA. To be frank, your addendum and all the excuses in the world aren't going to make up for two facts: law schools do not like people who have been sanctioned by their schools, and US News doesn't care about GPA sob stories.

Mad Hatter

Postby Mad Hatter » Fri May 04, 2012 8:27 am

wiglaf1228 wrote:This is a disaster. A friend of mine with an expunged arrest for possession - not even distribution - and no university sanctions was rejected at all the T1's he applied to, despite having a 169 LSAT and a 3.95 GPA. To be frank, your addendum and all the excuses in the world aren't going to make up for two facts: law schools do not like people who have been sanctioned by their schools, and US News doesn't care about GPA sob stories.

This is harsh, but true, particularly because it was near the end of your college stint (I.e. you can't sell it off as a "young and dumb" incident like you could have had it happened in your freshman year). Whatever your expectations are, lower them significantly, and take solace in the fact that you avoided criminal charges and/or expulsion.

kublaikahn

Postby kublaikahn » Fri May 04, 2012 3:09 pm

If the drug was marijuana, I think you can spin this into a positive. Seriously

presidentk1

Postby presidentk1 » Fri May 11, 2012 11:45 pm

kublaikahn wrote:If the drug was marijuana, I think you can spin this into a positive. Seriously

i guess this would depend where you apply (conservative vs. liberal areas) even tho the vast majority of people in academia tend to be left of center

but I see where you're going with it, you could of been the drug dealer that gave gma her bud so her eyes dont burst from the glaucoma

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sat May 12, 2012 10:34 am

I suppose all you can do is write a strong PS and addendum and just hope for the best. I am not sure if this is a C&F issue when you sat for the bar, may wanna look into that.

Nova

Postby Nova » Sat May 12, 2012 6:21 pm

wiglaf1228 wrote:This is a disaster. A friend of mine with an expunged arrest for possession - not even distribution - and no university sanctions was rejected at all the T1's he applied to, despite having a 169 LSAT and a 3.95 GPA. To be frank, your addendum and all the excuses in the world aren't going to make up for two facts: law schools do not like people who have been sanctioned by their schools, and US News doesn't care about GPA sob stories.

Your friend must have had the most shitty app ever or did not apply to enough schools.

I know someone with 2 POMs and much worse numbers who is at a T20.

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Sat May 12, 2012 6:35 pm

I'd find a C&F attorney in your area. Put in your addendum that you are working with a C&F attorney

AK_Ambition

Postby AK_Ambition » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:03 am

Not to make light of the situation, but there was NO criminal charges ever filed. If you looked me up in any court database, it would not say anything regarding the charge. The conclusion of the case was, "DA declines to file charges". The only issue was I opted to be less contentious and more "forthcoming" with the school administrators, hoping that, being so close to graduation (months), they would show leniency towards me. Instead, they opted to have me suspended more as a formality and a way of setting precedence for such behavior vs. me being a real threat to campus life. I still graduated uninterrupted by the suspension.

I do agree that it would be useful to research the sanctions affect on my ability to practice.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”