Focus of Transfer Personal Statement

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
3|ink

Focus of Transfer Personal Statement

Postby 3|ink » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:35 am

Obviously one would need to answer "Why I'd like to transfer." I imagine that's probably the most important question. However, should you really just jump right in with that? Would it not be better to begin explaining "Why I decided to go to law school?" like in a normal personal statement? Even if your reasons for attending law school are not exactly related to the reason you wish to transfer (legal focus).

Here's what I was thinking for my transfer PS, in order:
1. Why I decided to attend law school (brief story, 500 words)
2. Why I now want to attend x school. (200 words or so)

I'm hesitant to do this because:
1. It's a bit lengthy, though I suppose I could cut some fat from the story.
2. I'm not certain its appropriate to spend the majority of my transfer PS explaining why I'm attending law school.

Can anyone enlighten me?

lawloser22

Re: Focus of Transfer Personal Statement

Postby lawloser22 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:20 am

3|ink wrote:Obviously one would need to answer "Why I'd like to transfer." I imagine that's probably the most important question. However, should you really just jump right in with that? Would it not be better to begin explaining "Why I decided to go to law school?" like in a normal personal statement? Even if your reasons for attending law school are not exactly related to the reason you wish to transfer (legal focus).

Here's what I was thinking for my transfer PS, in order:
1. Why I decided to attend law school (brief story, 500 words)
2. Why I now want to attend x school. (200 words or so)

I'm hesitant to do this because:
1. It's a bit lengthy, though I suppose I could cut some fat from the story.
2. I'm not certain its appropriate to spend the majority of my transfer PS explaining why I'm attending law school.

Can anyone enlighten me?

1/3 about why you wanted to do law, how much you loved your 1L school, and what you were able to accomplish there to bring you closer to accomplishing those goals.

1/3 how much you love the transfer school/the area it's in, and why you need to be there (location/programs/profs, etc).

1/3 why you need to transfer bc you want to clerk/get a job/etc and are aware enough to realize the post-recession shift your ideal industry has taken towards hiring almost exclusively from T14s/T10s.

NOTE: read Megatron's transferring thread.

PM me if you have any questions.

theadvancededit

Re: Focus of Transfer Personal Statement

Postby theadvancededit » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:49 pm

lawloser22 wrote:1/3 about why you wanted to do law, how much you loved your 1L school, and what you were able to accomplish there to bring you closer to accomplishing those goals.

1/3 how much you love the transfer school/the area it's in, and why you need to be there (location/programs/profs, etc).

1/3 why you need to transfer bc you want to clerk/get a job/etc and are aware enough to realize the post-recession shift your ideal industry has taken towards hiring almost exclusively from T14s/T10s.

NOTE: read Megatron's transferring thread.

PM me if you have any questions.

This is solid advice. This breakdown should also be prioritized in ascending order.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”