Explanation of age in ps?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
tliles

Re: Explanation of age in ps?

Postby tliles » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:27 pm

Last edited by tliles on Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:29 pm

Kikero wrote:I'm a little puzzled with all the people (ok, 3) saying take time off to travel/make money. I agree with the idea (and I'm glad I'm taking a year off between UG and LS) but isn't traveling around sort of the opposite of saving money?

Not if you're doing it frugally. If you work for a calendar year and then travel for the summer, as long as you are careful about how much you spend, I don't see how you aren't saving money. I backpacked for a summer and spent less than $3,000 (not including flight.)

Kikero

Postby Kikero » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:45 pm

ilovesf wrote:
Kikero wrote:I'm a little puzzled with all the people (ok, 3) saying take time off to travel/make money. I agree with the idea (and I'm glad I'm taking a year off between UG and LS) but isn't traveling around sort of the opposite of saving money?

Not if you're doing it frugally. If you work for a calendar year and then travel for the summer, as long as you are careful about how much you spend, I don't see how you aren't saving money. I backpacked for a summer and spent less than $3,000 (not including flight.)

That's not bad at all. I was thinking of a different sort of traveling than backpacking. But yeah I guess if you're smart you could probably do all sorts of fun stuff and still end up pretty far ahead financially.

tliles

Postby tliles » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:50 pm

Last edited by tliles on Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kikero

Postby Kikero » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:54 pm

tliles wrote:
Kikero wrote:
ilovesf wrote:

That's not bad at all. I was thinking of a different sort of traveling than backpacking. But yeah I guess if you're smart you could probably do all sorts of fun stuff and still end up pretty far ahead financially.

Just to throw this out there, I graduated in December and while I haven't been backpacking or anything of the sort, I have spent my time in Lake Tahoe and a lot of beach cities in So Cal doing nothing but relaxing. I'll have had eight months off by the time school starts again in the fall so it's not as if I will have had no chance to relax.

True. Too much more and you'd probably get bored. I went down to Florida right after I graduated and I got bored (read: ran out of money and got sick of the hot weather) after two months.

USMCMatt

Postby USMCMatt » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:34 pm

tliles wrote: My boyfriend is stationed on Pendleton .. Semper Fi

Still a Marine...and also stationed at Pendleton.

tliles

Postby tliles » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:15 pm

USMCMatt wrote:
tliles wrote: My boyfriend is stationed on Pendleton .. Semper Fi

Still a Marine...and also stationed at Pendleton.

Small world.

Lil Kev

Postby Lil Kev » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:27 pm

Maybe you guys are dating and don't even know it.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:50 am

Whatever you do, do not go to TJSL or CWSL, or Whittier.

tliles

Postby tliles » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:59 am

Danteshek wrote:Whatever you do, do not go to TJSL or CWSL, or Whittier.

I didn't even realize Whittier has a law school.
Last edited by tliles on Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

FutureJayDee

Postby FutureJayDee » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:23 am

-
Last edited by FutureJayDee on Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:42 am, edited 3 times in total.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:26 am

FutureJayDee wrote: Did someone else honestly tell you to put your law school plans aside to travel and hang out? Great idea! Don't better your life, go hang out and get further into debt and further away from your dreams.

This made me lol. Getting a job would make you go further into debt than going to law school. LOLOLOLOLOLOL

tliles

Postby tliles » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:43 am

Last edited by tliles on Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 20130312 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:30 am

tliles wrote:Forget traveling, I love the direction in which these recommendations are headed so I'm going to take the next step along the path and say not only am I going to put aside law school to take a break, I'm going to ditch the notion altogether and become a stripper instead! I've been told I'm pretty and look nice in stilettos. Who needs law school now? Not this girl, I'm set for a stupendous life of playing on a pole.

Atta girl. Some days I really feel like I'm making a difference on this site.

USMCMatt

Postby USMCMatt » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:28 pm

Lil Kev wrote:Maybe you guys are dating and don't even know it.

Hope not...my wife would be pissed! lol

tliles

Postby tliles » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:04 am

USMCMatt wrote:
Lil Kev wrote:Maybe you guys are dating and don't even know it.

Hope not...my wife would be pissed! lol

Well isn't your wife just quite the demanding spouse, not wanting you to have a girlfriend while you're married to her, that's asking quite a lot. I get the sense my other boyfriend wouldn't be particularly thrilled with the setup either. Damn these needy partners of ours.

tliles

Postby tliles » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:06 am

InGoodFaith wrote:
tliles wrote:Forget traveling, I love the direction in which these recommendations are headed so I'm going to take the next step along the path and say not only am I going to put aside law school to take a break, I'm going to ditch the notion altogether and become a stripper instead! I've been told I'm pretty and look nice in stilettos. Who needs law school now? Not this girl, I'm set for a stupendous life of playing on a pole.

Atta girl. Some days I really feel like I'm making a difference on this site.

I'll have a pole engraved in your honor.

ThreeRivers

Postby ThreeRivers » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:14 pm

Lol, sorry If I offend anyone, but not viewing a 19 / 20 year old in your class as a peer would make me view you as the immature one.

Sure, some 11 year old prodigy would be different, but i don't really think difference between 19/ 20 (not sure age of op when they start), is that drastic from 21/22 year olds who will be there anyways

To answer op question, ls are number whores. Besides maybe yhs I don't think it'll have impact

Postby 20130312 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:23 pm

ThreeRivers wrote:Lol, sorry If I offend anyone, but not viewing a 19 / 20 year old in your class as a peer would make me view you as the immature one.

Sure, some 11 year old prodigy would be different, but i don't really think difference between 19/ 20 (not sure age of op when they start), is that drastic from 21/22 year olds who will be there anyways

To answer op question, ls are number whores. Besides maybe yhs I don't think it'll have impact

Pipe down, youngin'.

ThreeRivers

Postby ThreeRivers » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:11 am

InGoodFaith wrote:
ThreeRivers wrote:Lol, sorry If I offend anyone, but not viewing a 19 / 20 year old in your class as a peer would make me view you as the immature one.

Pipe down, youngin'.

I'll be 24 when I start ls... Sorry I dont find 20 year olds unworthy of my presence...

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:26 am

I don't think it's wise for The World's Most Mature Nineteen-Year-Old to commit to a profession. Law school isn't a time to grow, and frankly, it's not even particularly a time to get educated. It's a 3-year rubber stamp to gain you entrée into a profession. I think firms will eye you warily, adcomms will think twice, and you may one day regret your choice to plow through without stopping to spend some time exploring what it means to work full time and learn about all the different things "work" means.

Law school is a much bigger commitment than undergrad, a bigger commitment than picking out a major, a bigger commitment than accepting a job. Hell, IMO it's a bigger commitment than marriage. It's just not something that 19-year-olds should be committing to.

tliles

Postby tliles » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:01 am

IAFG wrote:I don't think it's wise for The World's Most Mature Nineteen-Year-Old to commit to a profession. Law school isn't a time to grow, and frankly, it's not even particularly a time to get educated. It's a 3-year rubber stamp to gain you entrée into a profession. I think firms will eye you warily, adcomms will think twice, and you may one day regret your choice to plow through without stopping to spend some time exploring what it means to work full time and learn about all the different things "work" means.

Law school is a much bigger commitment than undergrad, a bigger commitment than picking out a major, a bigger commitment than accepting a job. Hell, IMO it's a bigger commitment than marriage. It's just not something that 19-year-olds should be committing to.

Respectfully, I didn't ask for opinions on my choice to attend law school. The choice has been made and applications have been submitted. I'm not sure why the notion bothers you at all, it's not as if I'm fourteen and suggesting its a great time to be a mommy. This is a perfectly reasonable choice that I have made, and have earned the right to make. In regard to your statement that law school isn't a time to grow ... Really, how many twenty-four-year-old students do you know who lack nothing in terms of maturity? Perhaps I will regret my choices, perhaps the rest of the TLS members will regret theirs as well.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:05 am

tliles wrote:
IAFG wrote:I don't think it's wise for The World's Most Mature Nineteen-Year-Old to commit to a profession. Law school isn't a time to grow, and frankly, it's not even particularly a time to get educated. It's a 3-year rubber stamp to gain you entrée into a profession. I think firms will eye you warily, adcomms will think twice, and you may one day regret your choice to plow through without stopping to spend some time exploring what it means to work full time and learn about all the different things "work" means.

Respectfully, I didn't ask for opinions on my choice to attend law school. The choice has been made and applications have been submitted. I'm not sure why the notion bothers you at all, it's not as if I'm fourteen and suggesting its a great time to be a mommy. This is a perfectly reasonable choice that I have made, and have earned the right to make. In regard to your statement that law school isn't a time to grow ... Really, how many twenty-four-year-old students do you know who lack nothing in terms of maturity? Perhaps I will regret my choices, perhaps the rest of the TLS members will regret theirs as well.

I don't recommend 24 year olds commit to law school either, though if they have taken a couple years to work full time, they are severalfold more prepared than you are. At the top law schools, many to most law students do not go straight through undergrad to law school, and the ones who don't generally have an easier time getting a job. Respectfully, you should reconsider.

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:26 am

OP, what are your stats and which schools are you targeting, if you don't mind me asking?

J-e-L-L-o

Postby J-e-L-L-o » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:33 pm

These statements are moronic. Obviously the OP wants to go to law school. Why would she be persuaded because of her age. She graduated college early, and earned the right to attend after taking the LSAT. That's all you need a bachelors and an LSAT score. Age is not a factor.

You should get some work experience before applying. At least a year. That seems to be the general consensus on TLS. You are no more different than any other applicant, you are just younger. Are you less mature? Who knows.

If a 19 y.o. graduated with a B.S. and wanted to get a PhD or go to med school because that is what they want to do and are qualified, would you dissuade them? No. Go out and achieve your dreams. Get a year of work experience. If you still want to be a lawyer, go to law school, get into top 14, and graduate younger than everyone else and potentially have to deal with the debt for less of your life.

but what do I know...I am just a 0L that says follow your dreams.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”