Took LSAT five times, Addendum, Need advice

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Elenadu
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:55 pm

Took LSAT five times, Addendum, Need advice

Postby Elenadu » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:50 am

147, 155, 153. After Two years -159.

I have been always good with any types of tests, and any time I showed the result that was above average.

I believe, that it was the arrogance that was whispering in my ear that I could always do better than anyone. LSAT test was very different from the other tests: each time I was taking it, I had a panic attack, I couldn’t move to the next question, since every answer had to be perfect, and I’ve been losing the precious seconds and minutes. The very much desirable high score was flashing in my mind, which was very distracting. I kept thinking about the law schools that I was planning to get in. With each attempt, I just kept angrily jumping at the test over and over again.

After the two- years’ break I reviewed my approach to taking LSAT. My English got better, so did my speed of my reading. I learned how to push myself to move to the other question, even if I had some doubts. I taught myself to think about the questions, not about the score or about the prospective Law Schools.
Last edited by Elenadu on Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Elenadu
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:55 pm

Re: Took LSAT five times, Addendum, Need advise

Postby Elenadu » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:29 am

Please, anyone?

User avatar
bernaldiaz
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:51 am

Re: Took LSAT five times, Addendum, Need advise

Postby bernaldiaz » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:30 am

Wait is that your addendum?

Elenadu
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:55 pm

Re: Took LSAT five times, Addendum, Need advise

Postby Elenadu » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:48 am

Yes it is. Pls, tell me, what is wrong with that. I have revise it a bit.

I have taken LSAT many times, and I still could not get the satisfactory score. I have been always good with any types of tests, and any time I showed the result that was way above average. My experience with LSAT was an eye-opening experience.

I believe that it was the arrogance that was whispering into my ear that I could always perform better than anyone else. LSAT turn out to be very different from the other tests: each time I was taking it, I had a major panic attack, since each time I was hitting a concrete wall. I couldn’t force myself to move to the next question, and I was losing precious seconds and minutes. The very much desirable test score was flashing in my mind, which was very distracting. I kept thinking only about the law schools that I was planning to get in. With each attempt, I just kept angrily jumping at another test attempt.

After the two- years’ break I reviewed my approach to taking the test. My English has improved, so did my speed of reading and language comprehension. I learned how to push myself to move to the other question, even if I had some doubts. I taught myself to think about the questions, not about the score or about the prospective Law Schools. Regardless of the Committee’s decision, I’m happy that I have overcome my fears.

User avatar
bernaldiaz
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:51 am

Re: Took LSAT five times, Addendum, Need advise

Postby bernaldiaz » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:53 am

It's way too dramatic. I would just focus on the fact that you've improved your English and committed more to studying. The rest isn't really relevant and sort of makes you sound like a douche.

Elenadu
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:55 pm

Re: Took LSAT five times, Addendum, Need advise

Postby Elenadu » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:05 am

Is it better? I've corrected it a bit

I have taken LSAT many times, and I still could not get the satisfactory score. I have been always good with any types of tests, and any time I showed the result that was way above average. My experience with LSAT was an eye-opening experience.

I Believe that my arrogance persuaded me that I could perform better than anyone else. LSAT turn out to be very different from the other tests: each time I was taking it, I had a major panic attack, since each time I hit a concrete wall. I couldn’t force myself to move to the next question, and I was losing precious seconds and minutes. With each attempt, I just kept angrily jumping at another test attempt over and over again.

After the two- years’ break I reviewed my approach to taking the test. My English has improved, so did my speed of reading and language comprehension. I’ve learned how to push myself to move to the other question, even if I had some doubts. I taught myself to think about the questions, not about the LSAT score or about the prospective Law Schools. Regardless of the Committee’s decision, I’m happy that I have overcome my fears.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Took LSAT five times, Addendum, Need advise

Postby Grizz » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:07 am

lol advise

Elenadu
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:55 pm

Re: Took LSAT five times, Addendum, Need advise

Postby Elenadu » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:08 am

Bernaldiaz, thank you so much for your help! :!:

User avatar
KevinP
Posts: 1324
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:56 pm

Re: Took LSAT five times, Addendum, Need advise

Postby KevinP » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:28 am

Elenadu wrote:Is it better? I've corrected it a bit

I have taken LSAT many times, and I still could not get the satisfactory score. I have been always good with any types of tests, and any time I showed the result that was way above average. My experience with LSAT was an eye-opening experience.

I Believe that my arrogance persuaded me that I could perform better than anyone else. LSAT turn out to be very different from the other tests: each time I was taking it, I had a major panic attack, since each time I hit a concrete wall. I couldn’t force myself to move to the next question, and I was losing precious seconds and minutes. With each attempt, I just kept angrily jumping at another test attempt over and over again.

After the two- years’ break I reviewed my approach to taking the test. My English has improved, so did my speed of reading and language comprehension. I’ve learned how to push myself to move to the other question, even if I had some doubts. I taught myself to think about the questions, not about the LSAT score or about the prospective Law Schools. Regardless of the Committee’s decision, I’m happy that I have overcome my fears.

Do not send this addendum. The parts about arrogance and anger portray you in a very negative light. Also, having panic attacks may cause some to question your ability to succeed in law school, a largely test-driven environment. I would recommend keeping the addendum succinct.

Something to the effect (do not copy this because it is meant to be an example, and get some other posters' opinions):

After unsuccessfully taking the test multiple times and after a break of two years, I changed my approach; I improved my English, my reading speed, and my language comprehension skills. Therefore, I ask the Admissions Committee to consider the latest score as most representative of my abilities.

On a side note: If you think you can improve your LSAT score further, I strongly recommend you try to.

Elenadu
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:55 pm

Re: Took LSAT five times, Addendum, Need advice

Postby Elenadu » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:09 am

O'k, I have corrected my Addendum. Is it better this time? I have to send it tomorrow.

I have taken LSAT many times, and I still could not get the satisfactory score. I have been always good with any types of tests, and any time I showed the result that was way above average. My experience with LSAT was an eye-opening experience, since it turned out to be very different from the other tests.

LSAT requires the perfect logical skills, however, at the same time, the test taker has to understand the subtleties of the English Language. I was studying hard each time I preparing for the test. Every time I was taking the test I was extremely nervous because of the time restraints. All the afore-mentioned factors affected my LSAT score tremendously.

After the two- years’ break I reviewed my approach to taking the test. My English has improved, so did my speed of reading and language comprehension skills. I’ve learned how to push myself to move to the other question, even if I had some doubts. I taught myself to think about the questions, not about the LSAT score or about the prospective Law Schools. Regardless of the Committee’s decision, I’m happy that I have overcome my fears.

Elenadu
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:55 pm

Re: Took LSAT five times, Addendum, Need advice

Postby Elenadu » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:11 am

KevinP, than you so much for your feedback, you have really helped me with my Addendum! Do I still sound negative?

User avatar
bernaldiaz
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:51 am

Re: Took LSAT five times, Addendum, Need advice

Postby bernaldiaz » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:12 am

Elenadu wrote:O'k, I have corrected my Addendum. Is it better this time? I have to send it tomorrow.

I have taken LSAT many times, and I still could not get the satisfactory score. I have been always good with any types of tests, and any time I showed the result that was way above average. My experience with LSAT was an eye-opening experience, since it turned out to be very different from the other tests.

LSAT requires the perfect logical skills, however, at the same time, the test taker has to understand the subtleties of the English Language. I was studying hard each time I preparing for the test. Every time I was taking the test I was extremely nervous because of the time restraints. All the afore-mentioned factors affected my LSAT score tremendously.

After the two- years’ break I reviewed my approach to taking the test. My English has improved, so did my speed of reading and language comprehension skills. I’ve learned how to push myself to move to the other question, even if I had some doubts. I taught myself to think about the questions, not about the LSAT score or about the prospective Law Schools. Regardless of the Committee’s decision, I’m happy that I have overcome my fears.


Still way too dramatic. This is an addendum that will hurt you.

Elenadu
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:55 pm

Re: Took LSAT five times, Addendum, Need advice

Postby Elenadu » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:27 am

Why? I really don't understand. There are people who had DUIs, drug addicts. They were all so bad but they turned out to be so good. So, they are allowed to be whiny persons.
What exactly do I have to correct?

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Took LSAT five times, Addendum, Need advice

Postby IAFG » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:30 am

Not everyone is destined for law school.

User avatar
bernaldiaz
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:51 am

Re: Took LSAT five times, Addendum, Need advice

Postby bernaldiaz » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:32 am

Elenadu wrote:Why? I really don't understand. There are people who had DUIs, drug addicts. They were all so bad but they turned out to be so good. So, they are allowed to be whiny persons.
What exactly do I have to correct?


Cut the drama out entirely. Just say that you improved you English and test taking skills and your scores increased accordingly. Two sentences max.

Elenadu
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:55 pm

Re: Took LSAT five times, Addendum, Need advice

Postby Elenadu » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:43 am

Bernaldiaz, Please, tell me, where I went over the board? Where I was way too dramatic?

User avatar
bernaldiaz
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:51 am

Re: Took LSAT five times, Addendum, Need advice

Postby bernaldiaz » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:11 am

I have taken LSAT many times, and I still could not get the satisfactory score (this sentence is just shaky English. I realize its your second language, but keeping it short and sweet will eliminate awkward phraseology like this). I have been always good with any types of tests, and any time I showed the result that was way above average (this sounds like a poor excuse). My experience with LSAT was an eye-opening experience, since it turned out to be very different from the other tests. (another excuse)

LSAT requires the perfect logical skills (totally not your place to make this claim to an admissions board and its pretty out of place in an addendum), however, at the same time, the test taker has to understand the subtleties of the English Language (this is getting to your point finally). I was studying hard each time I preparing for the test. Every time I was taking the test I was extremely nervous because of the time restraints. All the afore-mentioned factors affected my LSAT score tremendously.

After the two- years’ break I reviewed my approach to taking the test. My English has improved, so did my speed of reading and language comprehension skills. I’ve learned how to push myself to move to the other question, even if I had some doubts. I taught myself to think about the questions, not about the LSAT score or about the prospective Law Schools. Regardless of the Committee’s decision, I’m happy that I have overcome my fears. (this is a ridiculous statement for an addendum. They're asking you to explain your LSAT score, nothing more)

Go with something like this:

When I first took the LSAT on MMDDYYY, I received a XXX. After a two year break while continuing my education in the United States (?), my English language skills had improved immensely. With a better grasp of the English language, I scored a XXX on MMDDYYYY, which is much more indicative of my true abilities.

Idk, something like that.

Elenadu
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:55 pm

Re: Took LSAT five times, Addendum, Need advice

Postby Elenadu » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:34 am

It's getting curiouser and curiouser. :roll:

The LSAT test taker has to understand the subtleties of the English Language. I was studying hard each time I preparing for the test, however, every time I was taking the test I was extremely nervous because of the time restraints. The afore-mentioned factors affected my LSAT scores tremendously.

After unsuccessfully taking the test multiple times and after a break of two years, I changed my approach. My English has improved immensely, so have my speed of reading and language comprehension. I also worked hard on my performance skills, which enabled me not to get stuck on the hard questions, but to move on in order to complete the test sections on time.

With a better grasp of the English language, I scored 159 on 1st of October, 2011, which was much more indicative of my abilities; therefore, I ask the Admissions Committee to consider the latest score as most representative of my abilities.

Is it o'k to send in this one? :?:

Bernaldiaz, you have helped me so much, I really appreciate that. :P After your remarks I reviewed my Addendum, and I understood how ridiculous and funny some of my statements were.

bessmarvin89
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:37 pm

Re: Took LSAT five times, Addendum, Need advice

Postby bessmarvin89 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:39 am

bernaldiaz wrote:
Elenadu wrote:Why? I really don't understand. There are people who had DUIs, drug addicts. They were all so bad but they turned out to be so good. So, they are allowed to be whiny persons.
What exactly do I have to correct?


Cut the drama out entirely. Just say that you improved you English and test taking skills and your scores increased accordingly. Two sentences max.


Agreed! Law school's don't look at dramatic approaches. Dry to the cut approach.

User avatar
Geetar Man
Posts: 585
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 4:13 am

Re: Took LSAT five times, Addendum, Need advice

Postby Geetar Man » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:17 pm

Elenadu wrote:It's getting curiouser and curiouser. :roll:

The LSAT test taker has to understand the subtleties of the English Language. I was studying hard each time I preparing for the test, however, every time I was taking the test I was extremely nervous because of the time restraints. The afore-mentioned factors affected my LSAT scores tremendously.

After unsuccessfully taking the test multiple times and after a break of two years, I changed my approach. My English has improved immensely, so have my speed of reading and language comprehension. I also worked hard on my performance skills, which enabled me not to get stuck on the hard questions, but to move on in order to complete the test sections on time.

With a better grasp of the English language, I scored 159 on 1st of October, 2011, which was much more indicative of my abilities; therefore, I ask the Admissions Committee to consider the latest score as most representative of my abilities.

Is it o'k to send in this one? :?:

Bernaldiaz, you have helped me so much, I really appreciate that. :P After your remarks I reviewed my Addendum, and I understood how ridiculous and funny some of my statements were.


Dude (chick?)! Are you not listening? The advice given has said to weed out all of the garbage/extraneous stuff that the adcomms really won't care about...

How about you try someting short and sweet.


"After taking my first LSAT on ______, I realized that the test was more _______ than I expected. After taking two years off, honing in on my english speaking and reading abilities, I believe that my most recent LSAT score is the best indication of my abilities. Thank you."

Something like what the other posters have said.

Elenadu
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:55 pm

Re: Took LSAT five times, Addendum, Need advice

Postby Elenadu » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:50 am

Of course, I listen, I am not that stubborn to think that your advices are useless, and I am way too smart to take them. The major problem is that I am trying to kill two birds with one stone: to explain my latest score and to justify somehow the fluctuation of the previous scores. Your comments do address the first issue, but I cannot find a proper justification of why my scores went up –down-cancelled-up again. That’s my major concern about the Addendum. I am just stuck and not even sure if I have to explain myself. Since I took LSAT so many times, I just cannot say: first score was low; I studied hard; my score has improved. Hooray!

I perfectly understand why I cannot mention the real reason: I panicked during first four times, since it sounds ridiculous. My English hasn’t improved as well. I’ve been through a very controlling marriage, when I haven’t been allowed to talk to anyone or apply for a job. Those are excuses that the Law School doesn’t want to hear. My timed scores were 159-163 at 2007, and they stayed the same in 2011. The time restraints were always the major issue, and that induced panic attacks during the real tests. I also cannot write that I bought a DVD, that Simugator, and it really helped me. I was doing a full test every day for a month before October, 2011.

Honestly, I cannot think of a single nice and legitimate reason how I can explain my test results. If I had known, I wouldn’t start this thread. I have a feeling that I’m trying to sit on two chairs.

User avatar
Geetar Man
Posts: 585
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 4:13 am

Re: Took LSAT five times, Addendum, Need advice

Postby Geetar Man » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:03 am

Elenadu wrote:Of course, I listen, I am not that stubborn to think that your advices are useless, and I am way too smart to take them. The major problem is that I am trying to kill two birds with one stone: to explain my latest score and to justify somehow the fluctuation of the previous scores. Your comments do address the first issue, but I cannot find a proper justification of why my scores went up –down-cancelled-up again. That’s my major concern about the Addendum. I am just stuck and not even sure if I have to explain myself. Since I took LSAT so many times, I just cannot say: first score was low; I studied hard; my score has improved. Hooray!

I perfectly understand why I cannot mention the real reason: I panicked during first four times, since it sounds ridiculous. My English hasn’t improved as well. I’ve been through a very controlling marriage, when I haven’t been allowed to talk to anyone or apply for a job. Those are excuses that the Law School doesn’t want to hear. My timed scores were 159-163 at 2007, and they stayed the same in 2011. The time restraints were always the major issue, and that induced panic attacks during the real tests. I also cannot write that I bought a DVD, that Simugator, and it really helped me. I was doing a full test every day for a month before October, 2011.

Honestly, I cannot think of a single nice and legitimate reason how I can explain my test results. If I had known, I wouldn’t start this thread. I have a feeling that I’m trying to sit on two chairs.


No actually, you're just trying really hard to justify taking the LSAT 5 times with little improvement. I've never taken the LSAT, but if I have to retake it more than twice, I will probably just not apply. (then again, that's me. I don't have the best gpa.)


Really, just tell them what I said. I think that would still do the trick. Who knows, maybe they won't care and will just assume that your improvement is a relatively good thing. It shows you have diligence, and that's important (I think/doubt).

Elenadu
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:55 pm

Re: Took LSAT five times, Addendum, Need advice

Postby Elenadu » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:27 am

To give up after two or three attempts is not a very sound advice. I do not like all those motivational speeches and high-profile resumes, but I believe that even after I’ve taken LSAT 5 times I still have my spirit, and I still have a chance. I have a law degree from my home country, and I know that getting that was a real pain in the a…

I have a good GPA and I will reapply. Maybe, I am not the sharpest tool in a shed. What will I lose if I reapply?

I understand your point, I really do, but I am still waiting for some kind of advice from the other users that will help me to resolve both of my problems.

I am a girl, a chick, you name it.

User avatar
Geetar Man
Posts: 585
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 4:13 am

Re: Took LSAT five times, Addendum, Need advice

Postby Geetar Man » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:53 pm

Elenadu wrote:To give up after two or three attempts is not a very sound advice. I do not like all those motivational speeches and high-profile resumes, but I believe that even after I’ve taken LSAT 5 times I still have my spirit, and I still have a chance. I have a law degree from my home country, and I know that getting that was a real pain in the a…

I have a good GPA and I will reapply. Maybe, I am not the sharpest tool in a shed. What will I lose if I reapply?

I understand your point, I really do, but I am still waiting for some kind of advice from the other users that will help me to resolve both of my problems.

I am a girl, a chick, you name it.



I really wasn't trying to be mean and I really feel like you have been given the advice that you need already.

What others (and I) have been trying to say is that there is really no "good" reason for have taken the LSAT 5 times. So what you need to do is to try and not make it seem like a HUGE issue, and try to downplay it as much as possible. They are obviously going to see your scores and wonder. But it seems as if it could potentially hurt you if you are trying to justify it. The point you really need to make is that your most current score is the score that actually reflects your ability. That is the point that I really think you should be trying to make, rather than explaining why you took it so many times. A sentence or two should be dedicated to giving the reason on why you improved, and then a sentence or two on how the most recent score reflects your ability.


Good luck!

Eliyahu7
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:03 am

Re: Took LSAT five times, Addendum, Need advice

Postby Eliyahu7 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:47 pm

You don't get extra points on an addendum for length. Just cut to the chase and leave it at that.




Return to “Law School Personal Statements”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.