Worried my Personal Statement is too short

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
GMX2000

Worried my Personal Statement is too short

Postby GMX2000 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:37 pm

I've been having a bit of trouble writing my personal statement. See, my life hasn't been all that thrilling. I mean, don't get me wrong, I don't live in Amish Country or anything (though I suppose if I had...it might give something sort of interesting to write about...); I just haven't been too crazy, and there haven't been any life-changing events. I also haven't had any "real" jobs that I'd want to write about, just stuff like cashiering at a retailer.

Anyway, I managed to put something together, but it's a meager 421 words. I believe it's a strong essay, and it says everything I want to say. But I'm worried the law school admissions officers will look at that and think I didn't care enough to write more. Problem is, I don't want to just artificially pack it with words to meet the 2-page mark (right now it's about 1.25 pages, double spaced, 12-point font) because that could just make it sound convoluted.

My numbers are pretty good (3.99 and 164), but I'm worried about getting beaten to a seat by someone with similar numbers who had more to write about. Can anyone provide any general advice?
Last edited by GMX2000 on Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

catwomangirl

Re: Worried my Personal Statement is too short

Postby catwomangirl » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:41 pm

Hard to give advice without seeing it.

PM me if you want--I like editing/suggesting things on essays.

catwomangirl

Postby catwomangirl » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:42 pm

Also,
A lot of people don't have "interesting" lives. It's how you frame it that makes it interesting or not.

GMX2000

Postby GMX2000 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:44 pm

catwomangirl wrote:Hard to give advice without seeing it.

PM me if you want--I like editing/suggesting things on essays.

Sorry. Here it is. Dunno if it's any good (haven't really shown it to anyone), but it's truthful--and again, I just don't know what else would be worth writing about.

“Uh, you should probably check out this website,” a friend told me. And so I did. The website owner had, without my permission, posted on his website a song that I had written and recorded—an action that both the law and I consider theft. It wasn’t as if his theft of my song cost me a lot of money, but it was a violation of the right I have to my intellectual property. I’ve had a lot of encounters with issues of intellectual property throughout my life, beginning when I discovered a video-game-designing program as a young teenager. I found out that I couldn’t just take other people’s graphics or music, because they somehow own it, even though graphics and music aren’t really “things” in the traditional sense. Today I have a more adult understanding of intellectual property law, largely (though not entirely) due to the theft of my song having sparked an interest in it.

I had been interested generally in the law for a while before that incident, and looking up the specifics of the intellectual property laws surrounding the above issues gave the more general interest some extra juice. When my song was stolen, all I could think was “that’s not fair.” Why wasn’t it fair? Because that person violated my rights. And that’s what intellectual property law is all about: attempting to ensure that one’s rights to one’s creations aren’t disregarded or breached. But that’s also, I realized, what most of the law is about—determining where and when rights have been violated and providing an avenue for restitution, remedy and justice.

The idea of rights in general, particularly how they are legitimized by the law and how they are fought for by lawyers, fascinates me. More than that, however, I can’t stand to see rights infringed upon. I dislike bullies, whether they be physical, mental, emotional, or legal bullies—and a bully is really just someone who routinely violates others’ rights (e.g., the right of a highschool student to not be harassed on the way to the cafeteria, or the right of a consumer not to be taken advantage of by a powerful corporation) and thinks nothing of it. I want to learn enough so that I can offer expertise to people who are being taken advantage in these kinds of ways of so they can stand up and regain their happiness and dignity. To this end, I am more than happy to put in the time and effort that I know will be required.

catwomangirl

Postby catwomangirl » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:49 pm

One place you could possible expand is regarding the theft of your song.

Did you take any steps to have it taken off the site?

Also, maybe take some time to read up on Music IP (google or wiki), and say some concrete examples of cases that interest you.

Great essay though.

The most useful mantra I ever learned was "show, don't tell"

GMX2000

Postby GMX2000 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:53 pm

Thanks for reading and commenting.

catwomangirl wrote:One place you could possible expand is regarding the theft of your song.

Did you take any steps to have it taken off the site?

Also, maybe take some time to read up on Music IP (google or wiki), and say some concrete examples of cases that interest you.

Not a bad idea! I'll look into it.

Great essay though.

The most useful mantra I ever learned was "show, don't tell"

Thanks. Glad it was okay in spite of its shortness, lol. I'll try making the first part more of a narrative.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”