Diversity, should I say this

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
matt690

Diversity, should I say this

Postby matt690 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:09 am

My diversity statement is about financial hardship.

I want to say how I had a job in high school and maintained my scholarship in college. My sentence reads:

"In college, I worked hard to maintain my academic scholarship." or "In college, I received several academic scholarships."

-First, it sounds like I only worked hard to maintain my scholarship. Is there another way to say this?
-Is there a better way to word it to sound sophisticated and not make it sound like I only worked hard to maintain the scholarships?

Thanks.

bk1

Re: Diversity, should I say this

Postby bk1 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:15 am

So these scholarships required a certain GPA to maintain, correct? Maybe something like:

"In college I studied/worked hard, surpassing the GPA required to maintain my scholarship(s) each semester."

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:22 am

I wouldn't bother. The only reason they want a diversity statement is to probe for some kind of URM status if you didn't check the box or something. Moreover there is something that doesn't make sense about someone claiming financial hardship deciding to go to law school both because of the cost of the school and the difficulty of job prospects.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:38 am

MrAnon wrote:I wouldn't bother. The only reason they want a diversity statement is to probe for some kind of URM status if you didn't check the box or something. Moreover there is something that doesn't make sense about someone claiming financial hardship deciding to go to law school both because of the cost of the school and the difficulty of job prospects.

Disagree. While it is unlikely to help, you really have nothing to lose by submitting a well-written DS that actually makes you sound diverse. Obviously if it is poorly written or makes you sound like Wasp McWasperson you shouldn't submit it.

icecold3000

Postby icecold3000 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:10 pm

matt690 wrote:My diversity statement is about financial hardship.

I want to say how I had a job in high school and maintained my scholarship in college. My sentence reads:

"In college, I worked hard to maintain my academic scholarship." or "In college, I received several academic scholarships."

-First, it sounds like I only worked hard to maintain my scholarship. Is there another way to say this?
-Is there a better way to word it to sound sophisticated and not make it sound like I only worked hard to maintain the scholarships?

Thanks.

You might be overthinking this

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”