addendums? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
DoctorLaw

Bronze

addendums?

Post by DoctorLaw » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:59 pm

can someone briefly tell me the scope behind addendums? I know one should write one if one LSAT score is way higher then the other, but what can a person also write it about?

Can I write one just basing it on my LSAT score not comparatively to another score but to talk about how I am not a confident standardized test taker throughout my academia?

Duramax80

Bronze

Re: addendums?

Post by Duramax80 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:13 pm

Standardized tests are a problem for a lot of people, and there are several threads on this forum that address that topic specifically. As far as I know, addendums can be written about any factor in a candidate's application that show a weakness in a particular area, but make sure you arent simply listing excuses. The LSAT is very important in law school admissions, so if you are a weak standardized test taker, I would go ahead and let the adcoms know. Im not saying providing an addendum is a game changer, but it may give you some leeway on how they approach your "overall" application.

I am writing addendums for my GPA and C&F issues, and I used the TLS "how to write an effective addendum" thread as a guide. I think you may find it to be useful as well.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/how-to-w ... endum.html

DoctorLaw

Bronze

Post by DoctorLaw » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:27 pm

Duramax80 wrote:Standardized tests are a problem for a lot of people, and there are several threads on this forum that address that topic specifically. As far as I know, addendums can be written about any factor in a candidate's application that show a weakness in a particular area, but make sure you arent simply listing excuses. The LSAT is very important in law school admissions, so if you are a weak standardized test taker, I would go ahead and let the adcoms know. Im not saying providing an addendum is a game changer, but it may give you some leeway on how they approach your "overall" application.

I am writing addendums for my GPA and C&F issues, and I used the TLS "how to write an effective addendum" thread as a guide. I think you may find it to be useful as well.

thank you, One more thing, if I kind of hint the standardized test weakness in my PS, Should I repeat in a Addendum.?

Duramax80

Bronze

Post by Duramax80 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:36 pm

DoctorLaw wrote:
Duramax80 wrote:Standardized tests are a problem for a lot of people, and there are several threads on this forum that address that topic specifically. As far as I know, addendums can be written about any factor in a candidate's application that show a weakness in a particular area, but make sure you arent simply listing excuses. The LSAT is very important in law school admissions, so if you are a weak standardized test taker, I would go ahead and let the adcoms know. Im not saying providing an addendum is a game changer, but it may give you some leeway on how they approach your "overall" application.

thank you, One more thing, if I kind of hint the standardized test weakness in my PS, Should I repeat in a Addendum.?
People here will tell you not to do that, its a waste of space in your PS, and if you have an addendum for it, then you dont need to elaborate on it in your PS. However, I somewhat disagree with this, but take my advice with a grain of salt. I think that if your LSAT problem is significant and was a major factor in your development as a student, include it in your PS, just dont overdo it.

For me, I have a baaaad GPA, which I explain in both my PS and Addendum. The approach I took was to explain my weak GPA in the first paragraph of my PS, and then show how I overcame it, and how it doesnt reflect my true academic potential. Im sure someone else will chime in and tell you something better, but I see it as up to the individual. If YOU think you need to include your standardized test issues in both PS and Addendum, and if you can do it well and appropriately, the do it. However, I dont know you and cant make that decision for you.

DoctorLaw

Bronze

Post by DoctorLaw » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:43 pm

Duramax80 wrote:
DoctorLaw wrote:

People here will tell you not to do that, its a waste of space in your PS, and if you have an addendum for it, then you dont need to elaborate on it in your PS. However, I somewhat disagree with this, but take my advice with a grain of salt. I think that if your LSAT problem is significant and was a major factor in your development as a student, include it in your PS, just dont overdo it.

For me, I have a baaaad GPA, which I explain in both my PS and Addendum. The approach I took was to explain my weak GPA in the first paragraph of my PS, and then show how I overcame it, and how it doesnt reflect my true academic potential. Im sure someone else will chime in and tell you something better, but I see it as up to the individual. If YOU think you need to include your standardized test issues in both PS and Addendum, and if you can do it well and appropriately, the do it. However, I dont know you and cant make that decision for you.
yeah thanks for the advice, have you posted your PS here? or mind if I read it? you can message me if want.

Duramax80

Bronze

Post by Duramax80 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:51 pm

DoctorLaw wrote:
Duramax80 wrote:
DoctorLaw wrote:

yeah thanks for the advice, have you posted your PS here? or mind if I read it? you can message me if want.
Yeah, its a few posts below yours with a title of "Revised PS, is it weak? I need help, guys." -I havent gotten a response from anyone yet and I would appreciate some input.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”