Length of diversity statement and topic

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
matt690

Length of diversity statement and topic

Postby matt690 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:58 am

Hi,

Should the diversity statement be shorter than a personal statement? Should it be between one and two pages double spaced?

Also, I am considering writing a diversity statement relating to financial hardships growing up. I grew up in a fairly wealthy neighborhood, but I witnessed my parents try their best, struggle, and do everything they can to give me the best possible education and lifestyle, despite their constant difficulties. I saw the true definition of hard workers and parents doing anything possible for family. There was as constant mortgage struggle and financial worries. I tried to help when appropriate, and I budgeted and helped them negotiate deals and find coupons. I found small jobs when appropriate fixing family friends computers and giving some lessons and tutoring. I attended college with loans and grant money, carefully balancing financials ability with education quality and opportunity cost. I tutor a little bit in college, but even moreso now than in high school, I try to invest my time in my academics. Can this make for a good diversity statement?

Thanks so much.

sportsstar5

Re: Length of diversity statement and topic

Postby sportsstar5 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:53 am

Not sure about this, wondering if I should write a diversity statement myself. Anyone have any info if something unique, whether financial difficulty or unique upbringing or financial dependence could make for a good diversity statement?

icecold3000

Re: Length of diversity statement and topic

Postby icecold3000 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:11 am

here are some sample diversity statements to give you an idea of the general format.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=25821

Your topic sounds like it has some potential, but it really depends on how well it is delivered.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”