Saying I want to be a professor in my PS Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
1macmac

New

Saying I want to be a professor in my PS

Post by 1macmac » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:08 am

I'm writing my personal statement and am hoping to get into a T10 school. I ultimately hope to become a law professor, but am not sure how an admissions committee would respond if I make clear that is my purpose in pursuing a JD. Do you think aiming to be a professor would be a turn off?

1macmac

New

Re: Saying I want to be a professor in my PS

Post by 1macmac » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:13 am

I also have considered being a judge. As they are either elected or appointed, do you think that would be too far out there for an admissions committee?

Moxie

Silver

Post by Moxie » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:18 am

If you haven't even taken a law school class yet, how do you know you want to become a professor? Not many fields support someone who wants to become a teacher in a subject they know nothing about.

kublaikahn

Silver

Post by kublaikahn » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:23 pm

It is a good topic if you actually have the ability to reach that level of excellence. But if your background does not support you being the best of the best, you ought not do it. Would a doctor be interested in a story from a student that wants to be a doctor? Maybe. But she might also think the kid is clueless and has no idea what it takes to 'do what they do."

JasonR

Bronze

Post by JasonR » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:30 pm

Isn't it a little odd that you wrote this 37 minutes later?
I'm hoping to get into a T10 school. My goal is to become a criminal prosecutor, but Im not sure how admissions committee's at top schools feel about that field. Do they prefer corporate lawyers or pro bono lawyers? What do you think?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:34 pm

I think it would be very odd personally. People typically decide to become professors because they love the subject matter and material so much that they want to study it for many additional years and continue to be active in the field as they also concurrently teach it to new students.

But how could you know you want to dedicate your life to researching and teaching something you have absolutely no exposure to yet? Its like having a high school student wanting to become a psych professor before ever actually taking a psych class. If I were the reader, I would write off such "aspirations" without giving you much benefit of the doubt.

Hjones33

Bronze

Post by Hjones33 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:45 pm

Huh? I posted in a thread this morning about how you wanted to be a prosecutor...

EDIT: Just saw someone else caught this as well.

thederangedwang

Silver

Post by thederangedwang » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:46 pm

the op appears to be all over the place.....dont mention wanting to be a prof, or senator, or us president in ur ps....it'll appear extremely naive and immature

CactusPuppy

New

Post by CactusPuppy » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:23 am

thederangedwang wrote:the op appears to be all over the place.....dont mention wanting to be a prof, or senator, or us president in ur ps....it'll appear extremely naive and immature
Exactly.

JasonR

Bronze

Post by JasonR » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:54 pm

He's definitely all over the place. Professor, judge, criminal prosecutor, pro bono attorney, corporate law attorney.

OP, the one of the most important elements of the PS is authenticity. It sounds like you don't even know why you want to study law, so you might have some trouble sounding genuine.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”