Exactly how important is the two-page requirement?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
hellothisisme

Exactly how important is the two-page requirement?

Postby hellothisisme » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:14 am

Since one of the schools I am applying to has a requirement of no more than two double-spaced pages at no less than 12-point font, I have written my PS in 12-pt Times New Roman. But there is really no way I can get this all in two pages. If I were to go to say, 2.5... how bad would that be? Is that a HUGE no-no? Because if so, I'm gonna have to do some serious cutting and pruning and I'm not sure I can do that and have it still be good...

ETA: Crap, the post below mine basically asks the exact same thing. Sorry... I'll leave this up just in case, though.

JasonR

Re: Exactly how important is the two-page requirement?

Postby JasonR » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:44 am

Very important, if explicitly stated.

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:22 am

JasonR wrote:Very important, if explicitly stated.

hellothisisme

Postby hellothisisme » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:49 am

Okay. I got it within two double-spaced pages, at 12 point Times New Roman font.

But one of the schools I'm applying to asks for a PS between 350 and 500 words.

My 2-page essay is 743 words. I absolutely cannot cut much of anything, as it was already a considerable effort to get it down to two pages.

Would it be okay to submit it at this length? I essentially need to write an entirely new essay if I'm going to get it down to 500 words.

And I can’t call the admissions office and ask them, since they’re closed till January 3rd. I want to get my app submitted as soon as possible due to rolling admissions.
Last edited by hellothisisme on Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:51 am

hellothisisme wrote:Okay. I got it within two double-spaced pages, at 12 point Times New Roman font.

But one of the schools I'm applying to asks for a PS between 350 and 500 words.

My 2-page essay is 743 words. I absolutely cannot cut much of anything, as it was already a considerable effort to get it down to two pages.

Would it be okay to submit it at this length? I essentially need to write an entirely new essay if I'm going to get it down to 500 words.

Bingo.

You in fact should write slightly different PS's for each school as each school's PS have different requirements (compare the instructions for harvard and texas ps.....texas ps is more of a diversity statement)

if this school requires only a 500 word essay, then you should write a new one...keep the same central theme, but write a new one around it

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:58 am

You're not exceptional, and should not be given any advantage over other candidates that are held to the same strict rules. If you can't follow directions on a PS where you have months to plan and edit, how can you be expected to meet deadlines for briefs due to judges with much more difficult word counts to meet (or sooner--3 hours exams with a FUCKTASTIC word limit that spites your months of preparation)?

Follow the directions. Your writing is not so sacred and pure that it could not be edited down to meet the minimum requirements.

Better yet,

thederangedwang wrote:Bingo.

You in fact should write slightly different PS's for each school as each school's PS have different requirements (compare the instructions for harvard and texas ps.....texas ps is more of a diversity statement)

if this school requires only a 500 word essay, then you should write a new one...keep the same central theme, but write a new one around it

TITCR

Moral of the story: don't do it. It's tacky, unprofessional, and makes you seem egotistical

FratLaw

Postby FratLaw » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:02 am

thederangedwang wrote:
JasonR wrote:Very important, if explicitly stated.

+3

hellothisisme

Postby hellothisisme » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:04 am

Okay. I'll follow directions. I appreciate your input.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”