My (risky) "Why UCI?" essay- (taken down)

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )

Does this work as a "Why UCI?" essay?

Yes :)
24%
NO!!!!!
76%

Total votes: 17

ben4847

Re: My (risky) "Why UCI?" essay- *please comment"

Postby ben4847 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:06 pm

I say go with a normal one. Research what makes the school special (this is one school where that should actually be possible) and convey it sincerely.
Then, if you want to stand out, include nude pics (and don't forget us).

3v3ryth1ng

Postby 3v3ryth1ng » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:09 pm

YourCaptain wrote:
3v3ryth1ng wrote:
Ok, maybe I should have put this at the top, but here's the prompt.

Prompt: We know that you have many options when applying to law school. Tell us why you are interested in the School of Law at University of California, Irvine. What do you believe we have to offer you? What will you bring to the School of Law? How would your experiences and perspectives enhance and enrich the quality and breadth of our law school community?

I have a PS where I talk about myself and demonstrate my thought process all day. Again, this is a "Why UCI?" essay.

Somehow I think you and a bunch of other people in here missed that because, other than the ridiculous stuff, I think I answered those questions in a generally agreeable way. You in particular: "You should be giving adcomms a window into you, not your desire for the school." In all fairness, you didn't see the prompt, but you're basically telling me to do the exact opposite of what it's asking. Thanks anway.

show not tell friend.

look, youre interested in PI and mentioned youre an educator. comeon theyll love that just mix it up and explain how they go together and reference in passing uci's commitment to PI or something.

Ok, I can do that, and if it's prudent I can even drops times, dates, statistics, and sensory details. The only possible problem here is that I have a PS where I talk about my PI motivations (it also mentions my teaching experience quite a bit), and a resume that lists my PI experience.

Should I be treating this "Why X?" essay like another PS? This is one of the few "Why X?" essays I'll be writing, and technically, what they're asking for in this essay is much different than their PS prompt, or PS prompts in general.

3v3ryth1ng

Postby 3v3ryth1ng » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:13 pm

shoeshine wrote:Please for the love of God do not send that to UCI or any other school.

This is how I feel about your statement: http://youtu.be/5hfYJsQAhl0

That makes me think that either you can't read, you only read the first paragraph, or you're a (body part).
I already know it's not perfect. Got anything helpful today Willy? Or are you just a bandwagon troll?

Nancy_Botwin

Re: My (risky) "Why UCI?" essay- (taken down)

Postby Nancy_Botwin » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:02 am

People can be such dicks. You gave me some great advice on my PS so I trust that your PS will be fantastic. Let the haters hate!
Merry Christmas!
Melissa

fashiongirl

Postby fashiongirl » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:30 pm

How long should the Why UCI essay be?

3v3ryth1ng

Postby 3v3ryth1ng » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:36 pm

fashiongirl wrote:How long should the Why UCI essay be?

It says 350 - 500 words.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”