DUI Addendum - Comments/Suggestions would be Appreciated

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
bama684
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:10 pm

DUI Addendum - Comments/Suggestions would be Appreciated

Postby bama684 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:40 pm

A little background... I am a 27 year old paralegal working at very reputable law firm in New Orleans, Louisiana. I was arrested for DUI when I was in college (I was 21 when i was arrested). Please comment on my addendum and let me know what you think needs to be revised. I appreciate all comments and constructive criticism.

I was arrested for DUI on [date] in [location]. I cannot and will not make any excuses for my actions that night, but I can embrace my arrest as a life-changing event. As a 21-year-old college student, my life centered on working and partying with very little emphasis on academics. My lifestyle caught up to me the night I was arrested. My immediate thoughts after my arrest were purely motivated by self pity. Why me? Why was I the one to get caught? My immature lifestyle at the time made it hard for me to realize that I was the one that needed to take responsibility, grow up, and mature as a person. Motivation from family and friends and a little self-reflection on my life's path helped me realize it was time for a change. I pled guilty to DUI, met all of my probationary requirements, and graduated college shortly after.

My DUI triggered a change in my life, and for that I am thankful. I sometimes ask myself what would have happened if I had not been pulled over that night. Would I have driven drunk again? Would I have injured or killed myself? Could I have injured or killed others? My arrest has helped assure that I will never have occasion to ask myself these questions again; the lesson I learned was invaluable. I feel that this night six years ago has helped shape me into the person I am today. I now have the maturity level to understand that my actions do not only affect myself, but can cause harm to others. Although I do regret my actions from that night, I can unequivocally say that I do not regret the outcome; a life lesson has been learned.

Geneva
Posts: 1014
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:32 am

Re: DUI Addendum - Comments/Suggestions would be Appreciated

Postby Geneva » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:01 pm

well done

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13916
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: DUI Addendum - Comments/Suggestions would be Appreciated

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:10 pm

Too long, too drama queen.

c3pO4
Posts: 835
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:34 pm

Re: DUI Addendum - Comments/Suggestions would be Appreciated

Postby c3pO4 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:15 pm

way too mushy.

just state the details of the offense (date, time, citation number, disposition).

then state in a non-drama-queen sentance the steps you took to make sure it would never happen again.

edit: PSA -- the addendum is not to convince them to accept you into law school anyway, they don't care. it's only required to create a paper trail for C&F. they are either going to ding you for DUI because your numbers are on the edge or your numbers are good and your DUI won't matter. hth.

Geneva
Posts: 1014
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:32 am

Re: DUI Addendum - Comments/Suggestions would be Appreciated

Postby Geneva » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:18 pm

u really think the dui will be the deciding factor if his numbers are borderline? interesting, i thought ad comms tended to overlook stuff like that

c3pO4
Posts: 835
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:34 pm

Re: DUI Addendum - Comments/Suggestions would be Appreciated

Postby c3pO4 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:19 pm

Geneva wrote:u really think the dui will be the deciding factor if his numbers are borderline? interesting, i thought ad comms tended to overlook stuff like that

not really. i think it makes no difference or if it does only on the border cases. that's why the addendum should only include all key details of the offense without any mushy and dramatic BS. they don't care.

User avatar
Mr. Pancakes
Posts: 1234
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:11 pm

Re: DUI Addendum - Comments/Suggestions would be Appreciated

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:13 pm

bama684 wrote:A little background... I am a 27 year old paralegal working at very reputable law firm in New Orleans, Louisiana. I was arrested for DUI when I was in college (I was 21 when i was arrested). Please comment on my addendum and let me know what you think needs to be revised. I appreciate all comments and constructive criticism.

I was arrested for DUI on [date] in [location]. I cannot and will not make any excuses for my actions that night, but I can embrace my arrest as a life-changing event. As a 21-year-old college student, my life centered on working and partying with very little emphasis on academics. My lifestyle caught up to me the night I was arrested. My immediate thoughts after my arrest were purely motivated by self pity. Why me? Why was I the one to get caught? My immature lifestyle at the time made it hard for me to realize that I was the one that needed to take responsibility, grow up, and mature as a person. Motivation from family and friends and a little self-reflection on my life's path helped me realize it was time for a change. I pled guilty to DUI, met all of my probationary requirements, and graduated college shortly after.

My DUI triggered a change in my life, and for that I am thankful. I sometimes ask myself what would have happened if I had not been pulled over that night. Would I have driven drunk again? Would I have injured or killed myself? Could I have injured or killed others? My arrest has helped assure that I will never have occasion to ask myself these questions again; the lesson I learned was invaluable. I feel that this night six years ago has helped shape me into the person I am today. I now have the maturity level to understand that my actions do not only affect myself, but can cause harm to others. Although I do regret my actions from that night, I can unequivocally say that I do not regret the outcome; a life lesson has been learned.


You say that you grew up but you don't stay in what ways you matured or how you did it. It seems like what you learned from this was that you shouldn't drink and drive again, which you should have known in the first place. You should state what actions you took to ensure this behavior would not continue. This reason why I may seem so hard on you is because I am also 27 with a DUI that happened many years ago, so I have had time to think this one out for a long time just like you. I hope another perspective helps.

c3pO4
Posts: 835
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:34 pm

Re: DUI Addendum - Comments/Suggestions would be Appreciated

Postby c3pO4 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:38 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:
bama684 wrote:A little background... I am a 27 year old paralegal working at very reputable law firm in New Orleans, Louisiana. I was arrested for DUI when I was in college (I was 21 when i was arrested). Please comment on my addendum and let me know what you think needs to be revised. I appreciate all comments and constructive criticism.

I was arrested for DUI on [date] in [location]. I cannot and will not make any excuses for my actions that night, but I can embrace my arrest as a life-changing event. As a 21-year-old college student, my life centered on working and partying with very little emphasis on academics. My lifestyle caught up to me the night I was arrested. My immediate thoughts after my arrest were purely motivated by self pity. Why me? Why was I the one to get caught? My immature lifestyle at the time made it hard for me to realize that I was the one that needed to take responsibility, grow up, and mature as a person. Motivation from family and friends and a little self-reflection on my life's path helped me realize it was time for a change. I pled guilty to DUI, met all of my probationary requirements, and graduated college shortly after.

My DUI triggered a change in my life, and for that I am thankful. I sometimes ask myself what would have happened if I had not been pulled over that night. Would I have driven drunk again? Would I have injured or killed myself? Could I have injured or killed others? My arrest has helped assure that I will never have occasion to ask myself these questions again; the lesson I learned was invaluable. I feel that this night six years ago has helped shape me into the person I am today. I now have the maturity level to understand that my actions do not only affect myself, but can cause harm to others. Although I do regret my actions from that night, I can unequivocally say that I do not regret the outcome; a life lesson has been learned.


You say that you grew up but you don't stay in what ways you matured or how you did it. It seems like what you learned from this was that you shouldn't drink and drive again, which you should have known in the first place. You should state what actions you took to ensure this behavior would not continue. This reason why I may seem so hard on you is because I am also 27 with a DUI that happened many years ago, so I have had time to think this one out for a long time just like you. I hope another perspective helps.


mr. pancakes, this addendum is not the place where you confess your sins and explain why you are rehabilitated. it's just a required disclosure to comply with future character and fitness disclosures. I don't think you understand the purpose of these addendums. based on what you say your thinking is, I think whatever addendum you are working on is on the wrong track. i had one of these too so i'm not talking out of my ass.

midwestls
Posts: 79
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:46 am

Re: DUI Addendum - Comments/Suggestions would be Appreciated

Postby midwestls » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:42 pm

A DUI addendum should be 3 or 4 sentences. What happened, when it happened, what the consequences were and a sentence that points out your clean record since that date. That's it. It's not a morality tale. It's about documenting it, explaining it and moving on. All they want to see is that you're honest about it. The more you write, the more attention you're drawing to it.

User avatar
Mr. Pancakes
Posts: 1234
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:11 pm

Re: DUI Addendum - Comments/Suggestions would be Appreciated

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:52 pm

c3pO4 wrote:
Mr. Pancakes wrote:
bama684 wrote:A little background... I am a 27 year old paralegal working at very reputable law firm in New Orleans, Louisiana. I was arrested for DUI when I was in college (I was 21 when i was arrested). Please comment on my addendum and let me know what you think needs to be revised. I appreciate all comments and constructive criticism.

I was arrested for DUI on [date] in [location]. I cannot and will not make any excuses for my actions that night, but I can embrace my arrest as a life-changing event. As a 21-year-old college student, my life centered on working and partying with very little emphasis on academics. My lifestyle caught up to me the night I was arrested. My immediate thoughts after my arrest were purely motivated by self pity. Why me? Why was I the one to get caught? My immature lifestyle at the time made it hard for me to realize that I was the one that needed to take responsibility, grow up, and mature as a person. Motivation from family and friends and a little self-reflection on my life's path helped me realize it was time for a change. I pled guilty to DUI, met all of my probationary requirements, and graduated college shortly after.

My DUI triggered a change in my life, and for that I am thankful. I sometimes ask myself what would have happened if I had not been pulled over that night. Would I have driven drunk again? Would I have injured or killed myself? Could I have injured or killed others? My arrest has helped assure that I will never have occasion to ask myself these questions again; the lesson I learned was invaluable. I feel that this night six years ago has helped shape me into the person I am today. I now have the maturity level to understand that my actions do not only affect myself, but can cause harm to others. Although I do regret my actions from that night, I can unequivocally say that I do not regret the outcome; a life lesson has been learned.


You say that you grew up but you don't stay in what ways you matured or how you did it. It seems like what you learned from this was that you shouldn't drink and drive again, which you should have known in the first place. You should state what actions you took to ensure this behavior would not continue. This reason why I may seem so hard on you is because I am also 27 with a DUI that happened many years ago, so I have had time to think this one out for a long time just like you. I hope another perspective helps.


mr. pancakes, this addendum is not the place where you confess your sins and explain why you are rehabilitated. it's just a required disclosure to comply with future character and fitness disclosures. I don't think you understand the purpose of these addendums. based on what you say your thinking is, I think whatever addendum you are working on is on the wrong track. i had one of these too so i'm not talking out of my ass.


For the specific school that I am applying to I was asked to do exactly what I was suggesting him to do by the dean of admissions. Thanks for the snide remarks though.

User avatar
BigA
Posts: 448
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:22 am

Re: DUI Addendum - Comments/Suggestions would be Appreciated

Postby BigA » Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:23 pm

"As a 21-year-old college student, my life centered on working and partying with very little emphasis on academics."

Unless this is directly reflected in your transcripts I think you're saying more than you need to here. You might be far better off presenting this as a one-night occurence than as your lifestyle at the time. I think the second paragraph is well done though. Just my opinion.




Return to “Law School Personal Statements”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.