GPA addendum-- does it suck? (173/lsac 3.04) Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
jediknight2424

Bronze

GPA addendum-- does it suck? (173/lsac 3.04)

Post by jediknight2424 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:51 pm

My poor GPA is not indicative of my academic potential or my work ethic. As an underclassman, I had difficulty balancing classes with my leadership positions and part-time job. As a result, I lost my merit scholarship and started working multiple jobs to pay for tuition. My financial situation eventually improved and I was able to finish my undergraduate career with strong grades. My final institution GPA is 3.399. I am financially secure enough to pay for law school and do not intend to work while attending.

i have 7 F's and 7 W's on my transcript, but i've really improved my work ethic in the past year. ive been told the addendum is crucial to my application--- does this cut it?

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Re: GPA addendum-- does it suck? (173/lsac 3.04)

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:03 pm

Unless you worked close to full time, this doesn't merit an addendum

jediknight2424

Bronze

Post by jediknight2424 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:21 pm

During one stretch I was working close to 35 hours per week. I know I might not have as good a case as someone working full time, but I feel like I should still tell them what was going on.

Also, is this a better addendum?

I was not focused enough on my academics. While working part-time and organizing Model UN conferences, I let my grades slip and lost my scholarship. I worked even more hours to pay for school. In short, I could not meet the demands of my schedule and the fault was entirely my own. Eventually, I learned to effectively manage my time and developed a good work ethic. I finished with strong grades and an institution GPA of 3.39. I am also now financially secure enough to attend law school without working at the same time.

kublaikahn

Silver

Post by kublaikahn » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:18 am

Actually your poor GPA is a fairly good indicator of your work ethic.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”