Personal Statement Question! Important...

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
MJohnson1986

Personal Statement Question! Important...

Postby MJohnson1986 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:30 pm

Hello all,

Okay, so I have a feeling I know how this posting is going to be received from my experience on these forums...but I really would appreciate any advice any of the other users here may have to offer.

Issue/Problem:

About a month ago, I completed a variety of different variations of personal statements I would submit to the law schools I planned to apply to. I have the good fortune (luck) of having several attorneys in my family, who were all very willing to help me with review & revision. So, finally, I had built a few strong final copy personal statements for my applications. As I was going through these applications on LSAC.org, I was double-checking the school web sites to ensure that my personal statements meant the parameters assigned for each school's personal statement requirement. Everything was going well until my final application, which of course, was to the school I most wish to attend. This school required a very different personal statement than the others, so rather than using my template that I basically used for all of my other applications (apart from minute changes here and there), I developed a personal statement specifically tailored to that school. I went through the same process of review & revision, and thought that it was perfect & ready for submission. So, I completed my application to this school.

Now, after looking back through their admissions' web site, I realize that I did not conform to their personal statement requirements in the following ways: The personal statement for this school is required to at least cover two topics, with an additional two that do not apply to me. Each topic (of the 4) is required to be 1 - 2 pages, double-spaced, for a maximum total of 8 pages.

Well, here is the problem... My personal statement (for topics 1 & 2) is not double-spaced... The personal statement covering topic one would be approximately 2 1/2 - 3 pages if it were double-spaced. However, the personal statement section covering topic 2 WOULD be exactly 2 pages if this section were double-spaced. In any event, neither section is double-spaced. Using single-spaced type, the statement easily conforms to the page requirement, but of course it does so by not following their double-space requirement.

Question:

WHAT DO I DO!?

Am I completely, for lack of a better word, screwed on this application? I am very concerned that I have just squandered the potential of attending this school for the next 3 years, and as I said before, it is my number one choice...

Please share your thoughtful opinions...I would very much like to hear what someone with experience has to say!

Thank you all

FryBreadPower

Re: Personal Statement Question! Important...

Postby FryBreadPower » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:38 pm

MJohnson1986 wrote:Hello all,

Okay, so I have a feeling I know how this posting is going to be received from my experience on these forums...but I really would appreciate any advice any of the other users here may have to offer.

Issue/Problem:

About a month ago, I completed a variety of different variations of personal statements I would submit to the law schools I planned to apply to. I have the good fortune (luck) of having several attorneys in my family, who were all very willing to help me with review & revision. So, finally, I had built a few strong final copy personal statements for my applications. As I was going through these applications on LSAC.org, I was double-checking the school web sites to ensure that my personal statements meant the parameters assigned for each school's personal statement requirement. Everything was going well until my final application, which of course, was to the school I most wish to attend. This school required a very different personal statement than the others, so rather than using my template that I basically used for all of my other applications (apart from minute changes here and there), I developed a personal statement specifically tailored to that school. I went through the same process of review & revision, and thought that it was perfect & ready for submission. So, I completed my application to this school.

Now, after looking back through their admissions' web site, I realize that I did not conform to their personal statement requirements in the following ways: The personal statement for this school is required to at least cover two topics, with an additional two that do not apply to me. Each topic (of the 4) is required to be 1 - 2 pages, double-spaced, for a maximum total of 8 pages.

Well, here is the problem... My personal statement (for topics 1 & 2) is not double-spaced... The personal statement covering topic one would be approximately 2 1/2 - 3 pages if it were double-spaced. However, the personal statement section covering topic 2 WOULD be exactly 2 pages if this section were double-spaced. In any event, neither section is double-spaced. Using single-spaced type, the statement easily conforms to the page requirement, but of course it does so by not following their double-space requirement.

Question:

WHAT DO I DO!?

Am I completely, for lack of a better word, screwed on this application? I am very concerned that I have just squandered the potential of attending this school for the next 3 years, and as I said before, it is my number one choice...

Please share your thoughtful opinions...I would very much like to hear what someone with experience has to say!

Thank you all

Random question: What school are you applying to that requires 47 different essays?

Fix your statements as soon as possible and e-mail the admissions office to have them incorporate the changes into your file. If you simply explain the situation I am sure that they will understand. It's not THAT big of a problem; especially when the school apparently wants you to submit 47,000 words-worth of essays. They should be sympathetic.

msblaw89

Re: Personal Statement Question! Important...

Postby msblaw89 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:34 pm

FryBreadPower wrote:
MJohnson1986 wrote:Hello all,

Issue/Problem:

Question:

WHAT DO I DO!?

Thank you all

Random question: What school are you applying to that requires 47 different essays?

Fix your statements as soon as possible and e-mail the admissions office to have them incorporate the changes into your file. If you simply explain the situation I am sure that they will understand. It's not THAT big of a problem; especially when the school apparently wants you to submit 47,000 words-worth of essays. They should be sympathetic.

+1 call the admissions office and ask if you can send an "updated" personal statement

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”