Should I write a Diversity Statement?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
soleilik

Should I write a Diversity Statement?

Postby soleilik » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:58 pm

Hi everyone!

I was born and raised in another country, and first came to the U.S. as an exchange student (later immigrated with my family). My personal statement is about the my journey from my country to the U.S. (I talk about my background, exchange program, difficulties adjusted to a new culture, etc). As I sat down to write a diversity statement, I realized that my personal statement already seems to serve as a diversity statement. I am afraid that if I write a DS, it will be too similar to my PS. If my personal statement already conveys my diverse background and experiences, should I write a DS?

Please let me know what you think. I appreciate your time and opinion!

Thank you very much,

-A

CanadianWolf

Re: Should I write a Diversity Statement?

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:00 pm

No, if similiar to your PS content.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:01 pm

you would need to add something markedly different for it to not be a waste of space

soleilik

Postby soleilik » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:06 pm

Thank you for your quick replies. My concern is that if i don't include a DS, my diversity status may be overlooked. Is it possible that me not submitting a DS might negatively affect my chances?

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:08 pm

soleilik wrote:Thank you for your quick replies. My concern is that if i don't include a DS, my diversity status may be overlooked. Is it possible that me not submitting a DS might negatively affect my chances?

If you already outline it in detail in the PS and in the biographical section of flexapp, it won't be.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”