UCLA Personal Statement

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
aliceydu

UCLA Personal Statement

Postby aliceydu » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:43 pm

UCLA's personal statement prompt: In this essay, you may discuss any matters relevant to your ability to succeed in law school and the practice of law and any attributes, experiences, or interests that would enable you to make a distinctive contribution to the law school and/or the legal profession.

My personal statement organization:
1. My background and what triggered my interest in law (my mom's legal career in China/U.S.)
2. My dedication/internship experience (brief, because it's in my resume/LOR)
3. My distinctive contribution

Do law schools actually read personal statements thoroughly? If they do, then I think I'm okay... but if they don't, I want them to see the most important part (distinctive contribution) first. My personal statement is really short (only about 500 words), so I don't think they'll get bored halfway through.

The last two paragraphs are about my distinctive contribution. Please let me know your thoughts on this:

However, there is more to me than my passion for studying law. I can also make a distinctive contribution to the UCLA School of Law because of my foreign background and my interest in both American and Chinese law and legal culture. I only finished the third grade in China, but I continued to read and study Chinese literature in the years afterwards. I am fluent in speaking, reading, and writing Chinese, and have kept a journal in Chinese since 2005. My awareness and understanding of Chinese literature, history, politics, and current events, in addition to my interest in Chinese and American law, allow me to add perspective and diversity to your law school.

I hope to study not only California and U.S. federal law, but also international and comparative law at UCLA. This way, in our rapidly globalizing society, I can pursue a truly bilingual legal career between China and the United States.

Thanks guys! :)

CanadianWolf

Re: UCLA Personal Statement

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:57 pm

Fluency in written Chinese & familiarity with both US & Chinese cultures should be viewed as a valuable addition to US law schools since many US based multi-national businesses need to be able to function in China's growing economy.

OP: Have you researched Top 20 law schools which offer dual degree options focusing on Asia/China ?
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lrslayer

Postby lrslayer » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:02 pm

I think the writing is good and your background is neat but isn't there something else you can contribute to UCLA? The reason I ask is because there are a shit load of people applying there that are Chinese American as well as a ton of people who are interested in US and Chinese law. Basically, there will be many students applying that fit this same paragraph imo and this will not make you stand out. Sorry to be harsh, but don't you want to suggest something more memorable here?

aliceydu

Postby aliceydu » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:53 pm

lrslayer wrote:I think the writing is good and your background is neat but isn't there something else you can contribute to UCLA? The reason I ask is because there are a shit load of people applying there that are Chinese American as well as a ton of people who are interested in US and Chinese law. Basically, there will be many students applying that fit this same paragraph imo and this will not make you stand out. Sorry to be harsh, but don't you want to suggest something more memorable here?

I thought about that... but what else can I write about? I didn't have a hard life, and I didn't have to overcome obstacles (you know what I mean). Suggestions? :)

lrslayer

Postby lrslayer » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:13 pm

aliceydu wrote:
lrslayer wrote:I think the writing is good and your background is neat but isn't there something else you can contribute to UCLA? The reason I ask is because there are a shit load of people applying there that are Chinese American as well as a ton of people who are interested in US and Chinese law. Basically, there will be many students applying that fit this same paragraph imo and this will not make you stand out. Sorry to be harsh, but don't you want to suggest something more memorable here?

I thought about that... but what else can I write about? I didn't have a hard life, and I didn't have to overcome obstacles (you know what I mean). Suggestions? :)

you posted in another forum that its hard to go into law as a Chinese American when other "like you" (your words) are going into science and medicine. did you face this sort of educational pressure from your family? community? friends? peers? maybe write about forging your own career path and the adversity you faced in going against what was expected of you? only you know for sure, but I think using your Chinese background may not be very diverse when you consider that Asian students in general make up 17.8% of the student body, and probably most of those are Chinese based on California population. Just something to think about.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”