Should I BS a diversity statement?

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
haowu80s

Should I BS a diversity statement?

Postby haowu80s » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:08 pm

I wrote the "five year career plan" among the four or five (bad memory) optional essay topics provided by Penn. My lsat is below the median so i am trying to BS a DS as well.
Sadly, I'm not URM, not LGBT. I'm from China. I did two years of engineering undergrads in China, and two years in the states. I've already put all these things in my PS. I find it quite difficult to come up with a DS from another prospective. Any inspiration or advice? Or should I just give up?

CanadianWolf

Re: Should I BS a diversity statement?

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:09 pm

Do not BS a DS with info. already in your PS.

gaud

Postby gaud » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:12 pm

^ definitely don't bs a ds. adcomms aren't going to want to read something like that and they will more than likely be able to tell that it's bs'd.

if you are looking for some ideas maybe elaborate on something from your ps... but make sure that it is obviously something different and not just a regurgitation of you ps

maybe write about your assimilation from China into America or something along those lines

haowu80s

Postby haowu80s » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:21 pm

gaud wrote:^ definitely don't bs a ds. adcomms aren't going to want to read something like that and they will more than likely be able to tell that it's bs'd.

if you are looking for some ideas maybe elaborate on something from your ps... but make sure that it is obviously something different and not just a regurgitation of you ps

Thanks for the inputs. I have read through some DS samples in this fine forum written by first gen Chinese immigrants. Most of those focused on the Asian background are not that well received. Will it be appropriate for a DS if I write about something ethnically irrelevant?

gaud

Postby gaud » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:23 pm

haowu80s wrote:
gaud wrote:^ definitely don't bs a ds. adcomms aren't going to want to read something like that and they will more than likely be able to tell that it's bs'd.

Thanks for the inputs. I have read through some DS samples in this fine forum written by first gen Chinese immigrants. Most of those focused on the Asian background are not that well received. Will it be appropriate for a DS if I write about something ethnically irrelevant?

Yes it will. Diversity DOES NOT have to be related to ethnicity. schools want to know what's different between you and other applicants and how you can bring those differences to the intellectual community of the schools to enhance the experience

aliceydu

Postby aliceydu » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:57 pm

haowu80s wrote:

I might be one of them. Why aren't they received well? It's hard to learn English and decide to go to law school when most of those who are like you are pursuing computer and medicine-related careers. :T

haowu80s

Postby haowu80s » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:55 pm

aliceydu wrote:
haowu80s wrote:

I might be one of them. Why aren't they received well? It's hard to learn English and decide to go to law school when most of those who are like you are pursuing computer and medicine-related careers. :T

From the DS's I have read posted in this forum, the most common response is that the experience of Asian immigrants are quite similar, nothing dramatic and unique. Of course, china town gangster story can be quite impressive and unique i guess.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”