Resume critque

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
laurgirl

Resume critque

Postby laurgirl » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:00 am

--ImageRemoved--

In terms of form should anything be changed? Also, any ideas how to make my work experience sound better?

ggibelli

Re: Resume critque

Postby ggibelli » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:02 am

i would take out the amount listed for your scholarship. seems unneccassary

Justdoingmybest

Postby Justdoingmybest » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:56 am

ggibelli wrote:i would take out the amount listed for your scholarship. seems unneccassary

Have you done any community service? Student Leadership?
Add that to the resume as it would give it more flesh and paint a better picture.

laurgirl

Postby laurgirl » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:24 am

Not since high school, so I don't have anything really. In terms of spelling and form though, does it look okay?

kublaikahn

Postby kublaikahn » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:40 am

Remove all the bold font. It distracts from what is important and focuses the reader on the wrong stuff (i.e. Vitos Restaurant is not important)
List your LGPA, not your GPA.
We spell honors without the u in these parts.
Write a short paragraph in lieu of bullets under honors.
Spell out CMHHA or whatever it is.
We no longer call food servers or wait staff be their gender specific titles in these parts either.
Do not give a job description for a food server, we know they serve food.
Just tell us why you worked there (e.g. "I worked 20 hours a week to pay my way through school. I have been selected to train new servers and have been offered a management position upon graduation.")
You have plenty of space to use full sentences. For example tell us what kind of painting you do and why. Also, instead of listing something like intramural soccer, tell the reader about your physical fitness attributes. (i.e. I maintain an active lifestyle including playing soccer and getting exercise at least 4 times per week. I hike and run road races for recreation and charity. Plus I am Canadian, so I drink beer, eh, like its going out of style, eh.)

dudders

Postby dudders » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:49 am

use a consistent verb tense in referring to your job duties.

"first-year" is a compound modifier.

I googled your restaurant expecting there to be an apostrophe in the name and there should be.

smokemonsterfromLOST

Postby smokemonsterfromLOST » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:31 am

laurgirl wrote:--ImageRemoved--

In terms of form should anything be changed? Also, any ideas how to make my work experience sound better?

I review a good number of resumes for work, so here are a few suggestions:

1. Make it easier to skim - align dates at the left or the right, locations elsewhere.
2. Don't just say what you did - say how well you did it. Include metrics of success wherever possible. Were you an exceptional waiter or salesperson? Then say so.
3. List your major GPA along with your overall GPA.
4. I disagree with the poster who suggested removing the amount of the scholarship, but you can indicate instead what % of your education it covered. Was it a full merit scholarship?
5. Your interests are on the dull side. No offense. Try to include something other than painting and reading.
6. Underlining heading titles is unnecessary.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”